Chapter 17: Masquerade's Mask

The next day, despite my newly increased self-confidence in my body, Richard took me clothes shopping to Pavillion Shopping Center.
This specific mall was basically the Wagyu steak to the Kingdom Burger dollar item that was Kirkwood Mall.

I even wore my best clothing to this shopping spree, which was a navy colored shirt with grey slacks. I even clipped on one of my dad's ties to further my appearance.

Speaking of my father... we weren't on the best of terms.
Adding in my bratty behavior, I suppose my question about Tobagco's tuition fees being costly was proven right; he constantly was taking up extra hours at work.

You most likely were expecting an extended explanation about my dwindling relationship with my father, but with the extra-hours and my newly scheduled study habits, there wasn't much to talk about.

Back to Richard's kind-hearted gesture of buying my masquerade outfit.
Richard pulled me aside straight after school ended, as planned the previous day. Owen and Benjamin wondered why I wore my best outfit, so I explained briefly.

"Richard invited me to his masquerade ball tomorrow, and he's taking me shopping after school."

Owen adjusted his vampire beanie, "Aw... I thought you'd join me in scaring the kids who go trick-or-treating or watch the parade."

"Sorry... you didn't tell me-"

"Nah, you're right. I didn't tell you about my plans and besides..."

He and Benjamin traded smirks.

"...we were gonna spy on Benjamin's dad before the parade. He's going to that art museum again, and there a specific exhibit happening until November. A gay man's painting collection."

I zoned out that conversation and explanation about the art exhibit after that.
Well, during the chauffeur ride to Pavillion, Richard and I had a cozy conversation about school.

"Well, my classes aren't that difficult for me, it's just the amount of assignments, projects, and homework they're piling on top of us." The rabbit opened a small compartment and offered me a can of apple cider.

I took it, "I'm the same way actually. Like my easiest class is Ceramics. I've actually got a perfect score on my ancient toolset?"

"You made that set? Damn, have you had any previous ceramics classes?"

"No actually. My dad actually said I was 'amazing' when I handled Play-Clay. But no, no previous lessons."

"Wow... you should consider focusing on pottery making. That toolset was demonstrated to another ceramics class as an example of proficient skill."

I silently sipped my cider, actually considering a possible career in pottery or another ceramic related jig.

"I'll think about it."

Inside Pavillion Shopping Mall, I marveled at the six floors of high-end shopping units, also noticing a sheer amount of organic food samples every 15 or so meters.

Despite being practically the reputation of being an eccentric shopping location for equally eccentric people with money flowing out their ears, the average customer seemed to sport a similar getup to my own.
I couldn't ponder too long over the revelation of simple clothing worn in such a mall.

Richard lead me into a Preston Raine Tailor, after I savored sweet coconut chips, where a gust of new-clothes smell flooded my entire aura. The scent of faint silk from the formal tuxedos and 100 percent cotton shirts were almost otherworldly.

I avoided touching anything, in fear that somehow my still grubby fingers would smudge the value of the clothes. Richard, meanwhile, was casually taking the same outfits and glancing over at me, then shaking his head, then choosing another set, then rinse or repeat.