Chapter 10: Progress

As soon as the red sports car pulled up, Benjamin froze up. Even his tail poofed out, so for whatever reason, that startled me into a stupid hunched    T-pose form. It didn't help that my shirt rode up my gut and that I was drenched in my own sweat.

The car door swung open with a swift unlocking sound, then a leopard cat just little ways bigger than Benjamin stepped out. He wore a stark suit and tie with the most ticked off neutral face I've ever seen.

"Benjamin. Get in the car." The older man said, glancing from the younger leopard cat to me.

It was then when I realized that I was still in the dumb pose with my damp belly hanging out for everyone to see. I clumsily stretched my sweat-stained shirt over it, trying my best to hide everything. The older leopard wrinkled his nose seeing that.

"Dad-dad, hi! What-" Benjamin coughed and patted his tail fur down.

"In the car. Now." Benjamin's dad commanded, pointing at the back seat. He even snapped his fingers before pointing.

"But dad, I was-"

His dad sighed impatiently and snapped his fingers again, almost yelling, "In the car Benjamin!"

Benjamin again stiffened up, but a second later, his ears fell and he swiped up his backpack. He clutched it and hurried into the back seat, carefully sliding in. His dad looked at me one last time, this time judging me up and down. He spun on his heel and strode into the driver's seat. His mouth moved, Benjamin slumped more, and then he drove off.

When I got home half an hour later, Dad sprung the door open and waved a letter wildly in his hands. He was jumping to embarrass me, but his stomach bouncing like mine just made me chuckle.

"Zach! Zach! Zach, I'm so happy!" He said, pulling me into a tight hug.

"Ew. You smell ripe. But anyway!" He shook the letter in front of my eyes.

It was my progress report card. I sucked in some air and clenched my buttocks, worried it was all nothing but bad grades. I was surprised to see I was wrong.

Health- A-
English-B+
Math II- B
Ceramics- A
Biology- B+
Physical Education- B-

"These are better than your grades at Maywood! Ugh, I'm so happy!" Dad pulled me into another hug before drawing back like I shocked him.

"Okay, I'll make us some dinner while you shower. Then we'll talk some more, 'kay?"

I felt my face heat up, with Dad's bluntness. I nearly stomped off, yelling, "I know I smell!"

After a cool shower, as Owen told me to do after flopping around in dance club, I was drying my tail off when I stopped. I heard the sweet sound of meat sizzling and the aroma of roasting meat from behind the bathroom door. I toweled off quicker, rubbing the towel everywhere twice, turning our dinky fur dryer on at max, before tugging my clothes on.

I almost barged out the door, but I chose to not embarrass myself near my dad anymore. I swung the towel over my head again, pretending to have not just relapsed into my fat habit.

Sure enough, Dad was making my favorite, hamburger sliders. My mouth watered up at the sight of the meat sizzling into a deep brown color on the griddle.

"So Zach?" He smirked at me, flipping a patty over.

"Uh. Uh, yeah?" I blinked away from the meat, up at Dad.

He snorted and said, "Those grades are... are just amazing Zach."

"Why am I detecting sarcasm?" I playfully squinted at him.