Chapter 15 -- Alive

************************************Marinette's POV************************************

She woke up to bright lights.

Her head hurt and throbbed.

What was going on?

She blinked a couple of times before clearing her head enough to see. She looked around her to see herself hooked up to a monitor. There was a loud and annoying beeping noise coming from her right. Trying to ignore it, she observed the rest of the room.

She was lying on a bed in the middle of the room. Next to her were two chairs with light blue cushions on them. Behind that was a counter with some sort of tools on it. 

She blinked again and tried to sit up, making the monitor next to her go crazy. A kind looking nurse hurried in. Her blonde hair was pulled up into a bun and she was dressed in a light blue uniform. 

"Hello, Miss. Dupain," she smiled, checking a couple of things on the monitor. "My name's Candi. Short for Candice but everyone calls me Candi. How are you feeling right now?"

"A bit - dizzy." Marinette said.

The nurse nodded. "Don't worry, that's expected. Is there anything else?"

"My head hurts a little bit. But I think that's because of the lights."

Candi nodded. "Here," she said, passing Marinette a cup full of pink liquid. "This should help a little." Marinette thankfully took the cup in her right hand and drank the liquid. It tasted like bubble gum.

"Your parents are here for you whenever you want to see them. I need to give them a report now so if you want, I can let them in to give to all three of you."

Marinette nodded, handing the cup back to Candi.

The nurse nodded and opened the door of the hospital room, a few words were exchanged between her and a nearby doctor and in came Marinette's parents and the doctor.

"Mari!" Sabine cried. She grabbed her daughter's hand and kissed it, sending a large jolt of pain up Marinette's back. She cried out and her mother looked fearful. 

Candi turned towards the crying mother and her husband and said, "Marinette was very injured when she was brought it. We were lucky that Chat Noir found her before it was too late."

At the mention of the super hero, Marinette groaned quietly. Her memory of the battle was blurry but she was sure that Chat Noir had seen her detransform, especially if he brought her to the hospital in her civilian form.

She didn't really listen to Candi talking as she was too busy thinking about the consequences of Chat finding out who she was. Occasionally she caught a couple of words here and there. Broken ribs, bruising, something about her arm. She was mostly focused on the result of her mistake.

"Any questions, Miss. Dupain?" Candi asked, bringing Marinette back to earth. Marinette shook her head, which caused her head to spin. Candi smiled and turned back to the couple. "Marinette is going to have to take it easy for a couple of days. You may want to restrict her to a few activities a day. And try not to excite her too much. But other than that, she should be fine. Make sure she's drinking enough water. Any questions?"

Sabine shook her head but Tom hesitated. "Yes, actually. Is Marinette allowed to go back to school?" 

Candi shrugged. "The honestly is up to her. If she does, however, choose to go to class, I would suggest only half day or make sure she has friends who can watch her every move and will know signs when they see them."

"Will I need anything to take to school with me?" Marinette asked. 

"Pain medication that I'm about to prescript, and maybe crutches for that ankle, but it's unlikely. But everything should be good for now." Candi answered with a kind smile.