Chapter Five, Christmas in the Tower

"Jarvis make sure you're recording this." Tony says laughing as he and Riley-Mae watched as Teddy did the cutest crawl as he kicked his legs up and down under the playgym before summoning his favourite wolf toy. "Of course Sir." Jarvis's voice sounded from around them causing Teddy to pause what he was doing and tilt his head in confusion. Tony and Riley-Mae giggling at how cute he looked. "Mamma." Teddy called reaching his arms out for Riley-Mae. Tony leaned down and picked Teddy up kissing him briefly before handing to his mother to have snuggle time.

"Sir, Rhodes, Captain Rogers, Bruce Banner and Natasha are here along with Andromeda Tonks. Should I send them up?" Jarvis announced interrupting the family playing. "Send them up J. I'll meet them on the Communion floor before coming up here to our floor." Tony told Jarvis sighing as he had to get up and leave them if only for a few moments. "I'll be back in a bit Mae." Tony said kissing her and Teddy smiling happily at them leaving with almost a skip in his step and a wide grin on his face as Mae had pulled him back for a longer and deeper kiss. "Well, you've certainly got a skip in your step." Natasha said dryly having being the first one to spot Tony exiting the lift.

Tony's only reply for a wider grin to spread on his face. "Andy, how're you? We found out what we're having today. You should have seen little Teddy's face when the heartbeat sounded in the room." He said excitedly. Andy smiled endearingly at the man before her, she was so happy Mae had found someone who would love her and care for her like she did, that poor girl needed that and more after all she's been through. "So, what're you having?" She asked trying to hide her amusement. "A little girl." Tony cried happily. "Oh, hello guys." Tony said abashed to his other friends who just shook their heads amused.

"I'm happy for you Tony." Rhody says he hugs Tony patting him on the back. "Sir," Jarvis's voice interrupted startling Tony. "J? What is it? Is something wrong with them? What's happened?" Tony fired off in quick succession concerned over what had happened in the short time he'd left them alone. "Nothing Sir. Miss Riley-Mae would like me to show you this." Jarvis assured as a screen popped up in the air of Teddy cruising the coffee table. Mae's hands hovering behind him incase he fell but there was a proud beaming smile on her face. "Tony, look he's cruising. Oh he's getting so grown up now our little boy." Mae's voice sounded a little chocked as her eyes filled with tears.

"Come on I want to get back to them." Tony said after a few minutes of watching his son on the screen before making his way into the lift the others following after him. "How is Mae now?" Bruce asked referring to how she had been when she first arrived. Tony smiled but there was a gleam in his eyes, a gleam of vengeance. "She's doing a lot better than she was, but she still has terrible nightmares most nights she can't go back to sleep afterwards. She doesn't feel safe being alone especially after a nightmare. If I ever see the guy who did this to her I'll kill him." Tony swore darkly.

As the lifts doors opened his mood and expression changed rapidly. A happy smile blossoming on his face. "Who was the clever little man learning how to walk?" Tony called proudly as he got closer to where Mae and Teddy sat playing, the little boy stopped as soon as he heard his father's voice happily calling out to him his hands raised in the air. "Dada. Dada. Dada." Teddy called excitedly. Laughing Tony picked Teddy up kissing him on the forehead before throwing Teddy up in the air and catching him again laughing as Teddy squealed with joy. "Who is my clever little man? Hmm. You are Teddy. Yes you are." Tony cooed to the little boy he was holding above his head who screeched with laughter.

The team were shocked at the change in Tony. They'd never seen this side to him before, this carefree, this happy. Not even Rhodey had ever seen his friend this happy and was glad he'd found someone who made him happy and who made her happy in return. He may not know all that happened to the young woman but he knew enough to spot an injured soul before him, someone who had seen war and death and most likely been tortured. The way Tony had which would be one of the reasons they fit together; they were kindred spirits, soul mates and he was just glad Tony had a chance at a family.

"How're you Mae?" Rhodey asked as he cautiously made his way over to the young woman who was cuddled into the older woman's side, Andy her name was if he remembered correctly and was Teddy's grandmother. Mae startled slightly her eyes going wide as things around the room and the windows started to rattle and shake, that is until Andy and Tony each placed a hand on her arm grounding her did her magic stop lashing out. "Sorry." Mae whispered her eyes downcast. Rhodey waved it off smiling at her as he took the chair opposite the small family the coffee table in between them.

"Don't worry about it." He smiled. "I may not know what has happened to you, and I don't need to know unless you want me to know. But I can spot someone who has been in war, mostly the forefront of it and has seen those they love die. I'm here if you ever need to talk, just like I was for Tony." Rhodey assured smiling at the young woman and Tony who beamed back at his friend a grateful smile on his face. "Does it ever get easier?" Mae's soft voice asked lowly her eyes on her hands still. "In time yes it will. But know you have people here who care about you and will always be here for you. Tony especially as he gets rather overprotective." Rhodey assured smiling when Mae let out a small laugh.

"Oh I know you should have heard him at the hospital. 'Teddy you're a big brother now and we need to keep boys away from your sister like we do your mummy.'" Mae said laughing as everyone joined in already picturing it exactly. "You were not supposed to say that Mae." Tony whined only pull a face as everyone laughed more, Teddy joining in. "Not you too Teddy." Tony cried. "You're supposed to be on Daddy's side." Which caused another round of laughter. Tony smiled as he saw Mae laughing so much she was leaning on Andy with tears streaming down her face and swore he'd always be there to cheer her up. And be there no matter what for nothing was going to drive him away from the woman he loved, from his family. Nothing.

A/n: what should their baby girl be called?