Austin.

"Go fish," David said proudly, shuffling about on the hardwood floor to become more comfortable and holding his cards up to his face, observing them closely.

"What? Again?" I asked. "Are you sure this can even be a two-player game?" I reached down to the cards in front of me. He nodded.

"Ace of spades," he said. I looked down at my cards. There was an ace of spades.

"Go fish," I said, smiling to myself. He rolled his eyes.

"You're cheating." He slammed the cards onto the floor and glared at me, trying to keep a straight face. 

"Prove it," I replied. He tried to grab the cards from my hand but I whipped them away from him. He narrowed his eyes and leant forwards to attempt to get them once more, when there was a knock on the door. We both looked up, his arm still outstretched, and then looked back at eachother. David didn't know about the note from last night, yet.

He sighed and rolled his eyes, putting his hand on the mantelpiece to pull himself up.

"No," I whispered desperately, grabbing his wrist and pulling him towards me. "Please don't answer it."

He raised his eyebrow. "Why?"

Still tightly holding his arm, I leaned back and squinted through the small doorway, watching the bottom of the front door to see if another note would slip through. They knocked again.

"Oi, David, it's just me," a voice said from outside. "I know you're in there, I heard you playing Go Fish with your girlfriend."

"It's just my mate, you'll like him," David said to me reassuringly. I let out a deep breath of relief and put my cards face down on the floor.

David and his friend greeted eachother, had a little chat about some girl named Elizabeth and then came through into the room I was in.

"Hi," I said nervously, trying to sound friendly. He grinned at me.

"How did you pull somebody so beautiful?" he asked David, who frowned.

"I'm offended," David replied as his friend came over and kneeled by me.

"Hey," he said, his grey eyes glittering with the reflection of the fairy lights. "My name's Austin. Nice to meet you."

His voice was deep and soothing and his warm breath tickled my neck.

"I'm Ayla," I replied, sticking my hand out for him to shake. He laughed and kissed the back of it. It gave me shivers, bad shivers, thinking about the patient who had done the same thing.

"She isn't my girlfriend, either," David said, sitting back down opposite me.

"I'm sure she has a boyfriend already," Austin replied, a questioning tone in his voice. I shook my head.

"Nope. Not as far as I know," I said smiling.

"You can't remember?" he grinned. "He sounds like a catch."

I stood up and dusted myself off. "Can I get you two a drink?"

"Yeah, wine please." Austin sat down in my place and twisted the bulb of a fairy light that had broken.

"You liar!" David yelled suddenly, who had grabbed my cards from the floor. I rolled my eyes and laughed.

"You've always sucked at Go Fish, David," Austin said, leaning forwards to see my cards too. I laughed.

I walked into the kitchen and poured me and Austin a glass of white wine, and decided to leave David to fend for himself. As I approached the door, I could hear David talking about Elizabeth again.