Party.

David had decided to throw himself a party for surviving a "crazed attack" and "getting shot and stabbed multiple times" and "almost losing both of his legs". As stupid as the situation was, I didn't argue when I heard the same story being told all night.
"I drove into the desert in my lambourghini-"
"You have a lambourghini?"
"Yeah, well not anymore, it broke half way so I had to walk."
"You walked all that way?"
"Yeah, I know. But basically, I turned up and he was there with this machine gun next to him, but he was holding this rifle thing or whatever. And I pulled out a knife to save Ayla but he just started pumping pellets at me and I nearly died. He had awful aim but luckily I survived and I was carrying a little pistol and shot him too, so yeah. Basically."
Every time he would tell the story, girls would swoon and boys would grunt admiringly, all the while I'd roll my eyes. He'd look over at me occasionally and give me a grin of satisfaction; everybody believed him, especially when he flashed his stomach to show off his wound.
"Excuse me," a girl muttered next to me, gently patting my arm and interrupting my thoughts. I blinked and looked over, smiling expectantly. "Where's the bathroom?"
"Oh it's just-" I began, before she slapped her hand over her mouth and her eyes widened. I quickly shoved her into the bathroom and locked the door behind us as she spilled out the contents of her stomach. Cautiously, I pulled her mid-length honey hair from over her shoulders and held it back as she vomitted.
"There, there," I said nervously, trying to sound comforting. The sight and smell of her sick was making me dizzy.
"Thanks," she'd mutter between retches. "This is... so nice of... you."
When she'd finished, I helped clean her up a bit and she applied copious amounts of lipgloss to her mouth, before smiling and leaving the bathroom, stumbling about on her heels. I looked around for David and found him sitting on the plush sofa alone, with a bottle of beer in his hand. When he saw me he grinned and patted the space next to him. I walked over bare footed, and caught the attention of some of the over-dressed girls on the way there. I sat down next to him and accepted a beer that he offered me.
"I don't think alcohol is a great idea," I muttered, tapping my nails on the bottle and resting it on my knee. "Not for some people here, anyway." I noticed another girl quickly rush into the bathroom.
"Just makes them appreciate my story more," he replied, smirking. I rolled my eyes and smiled, putting my hand on his knee.
"Hello," a woman said to us, standing directly above me. Her voice was like silk, which paired perfectly with her unnaturally shiny hair and her glinting dark eyes. She glanced down at my hand that was placed on David's knee, and then looked at me. I quickly moved my hand away, suddenly feeling intimated.
"Hey," David said after a long while, offering her a drink. "How's life?"
"It's okay," she hummed. She sat gracefully on a chair in front of us, popping the lid from a bottle of beer using her thumbnail. A long, black, fitted dress tightly hugged her tall, slim frame and curled out on the floor around her as she sat. It was fairly low cut but she didn't look like she wanted to attract the wrong attention, she just radiated elegance and beauty. Her eyes were dark and her lashes were long, framed by perfect dark eyeliner and eyeshadow, and finished with glitter beneath her lower lashes. She looked incredible, I was surprised I hadn't noticed her.
"Aren't you going to introduce me, David?" The corners of her lips twitched into a slight, brief smile.
"Oh, yeah. Ayla, this is Elizabeth. Elizabeth, this is Ayla."
"You're Elizabeth?" I asked, before realising how rude that sounded. "No offence."
"None taken." Elizabeth took a small sip of her drink and looked around the room, twirling a strand of her long black hair between her fingers. "So, tell me," she began, wiping her dark red lipstick from the rim of her bottle using her finger. Her eyes flashed up towards Davids, who adjusted himself in the seat uncomfortably. "Did Ayla like the dress?"
"Uh, yeah, I assume so," David replied, looking over at me. I nodded, still gazing at Elizabeth's beauty. Compared to the dress she was wearing now, the floral one that she'd given to me seemed ridiculous. I wasn't surprised she'd given it away. I glanced briefly toward David's bedroom, but the door was still shut, so I wasn't sure if she had seen the state that it was in or not.
"It was lovely." I smiled, but she still looked at me expectantly. 
"But it, uh, it got a bit ruined," I continued hesitantly. She shrugged gracefully, flattening the silk of her dress on her knee.
"It never really suited me, but you look like the sort of person who could pull it off." I couldn't tell whether this was intented as a rude remark, but I just smiled gratefully.
"How do you two know eachother?" I asked quickly, noticing that Elizabeth was getting distracted by a tall, broad shouldered man who was rattling on the bathroom door handle and having an argument with the ill girl inside. In response, Elizabeth raised her eyebrow and smiled at David, who let out a small, nervous laugh.
"We used to date," he mumbled. Elizabeth arched her back as she adjusted herself on the chair.
"And?" she said, leaning forwards.
"And I proposed to her."
"What? Wait, you're married?" I asked, looking back and forth between Elizabeth and David. She laughed and he smirked.
"No," she said. "I said no to him."
"Oh," I mumbled, resisting the urge to comfort David in front of his ex. He sighed beside me.
"It wasn't awkward at all," he said, smiling to himself. He was looking down the neck of his beer bottle and swirling the alcohol around.
"It was awful," Elizabeth began, dramatically putting her palm to her forehead. "I felt terrible. I think it was for the best, though." David nodded in agreement.
"Why did you say no?" I asked curiously. David looked over at me, and the smile disappeared from Elizabeth's face.
"I had my reasons," she replied bluntly, standing up. "I'm going to go and get another drink. I'll speak to you two later." And with that, she disappeared.
"She is so terrifying," David said. I couldn't help but laugh. He was right, she was shockingly intimidating and powerful, and the glint in her eyes every time she brought up the proposal made me uncomfortable. 
"When are all these people going to leave?" I asked, taking the final sip from my beer and feeling my fingertips go numb. He shrugged and finished his second bottle. As he picked up his third, Austin sauntered over with his arm around an unfamiliar girls shoulders. She smiled weakly at me and David as Austin collapsed onto the seat next to me, and she placed herself on the arm of the sofa.
"Someone's pulled," David said, swigging from the bottle and smirking and Austin.
"I haven't pulled, David, my friend," Austin replied. He patted the knee of his date. "I have simply acquired the company of this lovely female here."
"Do you know her name?" I whispered, but both David and the date seemed to hear. David scoffed but quickly silenced himself as Austins cheeks grew red.
"We haven't got to that stage yet," he replied, looking at me darkly. I winked at him.
"What's your name?" I asked her. She smiled and swivelled around on the arm of the sofa so that she was facing us.
"I'm Annabelle, but you can call me Anna. Or Belle."
"Well, Anna or Belle, I'm David." He stuck his hand out for her to shake. Austin rolled his eyes.
"I'm Austin," he quickly interjected, stroking her arm. 
"Yes, I asked for your name earlier, remember?" she said, looking down at him. He quickly looked away and nodded shyly.
"I'm Ayla, and I'm sorry about him. He's a bit of a..." my voice trailed off as I tried to think of the appropriate and least offensive word. 'Stupid dumbass' was all that came to mind, but I kept quiet.
"I'm a bit of a what, huh?" Austin asked defensively, narrowing his eyes at me. "Huh? Huh? Speak up Gayla." He nudged his date to see if she'd understand his joke, but she ignored him.
"A bit of a stupid dumbass," I sighed, patting him on the knee patronisingly. He rolled his eyes and smiled.
"Whatever," he replied, shrugging it off. His date got up to leave, so Austin quickly got up and threw his arm around her shoulders and trotted off with her, as she sighed. He's a hard one to get rid of.
As I watched them walk away, David leant over and kissed me on the cheek. I turned to him and smiled, and he stroked my arm with his cold hand.
"We need to get your blackouts sorted out," he mumbled. "Don't want you running off again."
"I didn't run off, I was beaten and kidnapped."
"As usual," he replied, smiling. I turned my head as somebody stopped the quiet music on the record player and shuffled about with different records, before selecting one they wanted.
"Oh Christ, really?" David said, shaking his head, as Faith by George Michael sang through the speakers. I grinned. I knew this song, I could remember it from my childhood. A sudden vivid image of dancing on the kitchen table in the yellow light as a small child was flashed through my mind and made my stomach flutter with nostalgia, a feeling I had obviously never really had before.
I stood up from the sofa as everybody collected in the center of the room to sing an attrocious rendition of Faith, and leant out the open window. Somebody else, a young man with an impressively curled moustache, was also leaning out. He pressed a cigarette to his lips and blew out a thin ribbon of smoke before propping himself up on the windowsill with his elbow and looking at me. He adjusted his tortoise shell glasses on his nose and ran his fingers through his quiff.
"Hey," he said. He had an unfamiliar accent, but it was sweet and gentle. I glanced over, smiling, before getting distracted by the lights from the cars on the streets below. In the night time, everything seems so much more magical.
"I'm Tom." He flicked his cigarette out of the window and rolled up the sleeves of his lumberjack shirt.
"Hello Tom," I said to him, turning away from the lights and facing the room instead, leaning my back against the window frame. I looked over at him and admired his attire. "You look dashing."
"Thanks," he grinned, looking down at himself and pointing his toe so that I could see his shoe. "These are new. Got them in Texas. Fifty bucks."
"Not bad," I replied, shoving my hands into the pockets of my jeans.
"Sorry, what's your name?" he asked, looking at the group of people in the middle of the room who were swaying side to side. Many of them were singing the wrong lyrics, and many more of them were just yelling and cheering because they didn't know the words.
"I'm Ayla."
"Well, Ayla, you look dashing too."
I looked down at my ripped jeans and baggy T-shirt and raised my eyebrow, looking over at him.
"You have great taste," I muttered, rubbing a crease that ran down my shirt. I didn't tell him these were the clothes that I slept in.
During our conversation, another girl wearing ridiculous heels and stinking of vodka trotted over.
"Where's the-" she began, but I immediately pointed towards the bathroom door before she could finish. "Cheers," she muttered, stumbling away. David weaved throughout the people in the crowd to reach the wall, and ran his fingers over the velvet to find the lightswitch in the growing darkness. Within seconds, the room was illuminated fairy lights which twinkled like multicoloured fireflies and everybody's eyes began to sparkle.
"I reckon you have secrets, Ayla," Tom said, nudging me with his elbow. I glanced over at him.
"Doesn't everybody?" I asked, rubbing the small of my back and stretching my shoulders out.
"I guess so. You just seem very quiet," he replied, chuckling and taking a swig from a can of something.
"I just don't remember any of my secrets, I guess."
"Is that so?" Tom asked curiously, his voice gentle compared to the other men in the room. I nodded and picked at a loose strand of material that hung from one of the holes in my jeans. He looked away, taking another sip of his drink.
"Well, I wish I didn't remember mine." He set his can down, carefully balancing it on the radiator, and then put his hand on my shoulder and giving it a comforting squeeze. "It was lovely to meet you, Ayla. Honestly."
I looked into his eyes, which glowed as he smiled, and wrapped my arms around his neck. He stayed still and hesitantly patted me on the back.
"It was nice to meet you too," I mumbled into his shoulder. Since blacking out, I felt the need to really appreciate everybody that I met, whether this disturbed them or not. He rubbed my back gently before pulling away and running his hands through his hair again, giving me a nod and slowly walking through the crowd and leaving.
"Who was that?" David came over and asked me. "His moustache was amazing."
"I know." I chuckled as David stroked his top lip hopelessly with the tip of his finger.
"But seriously, who was he?" he asked me. His eyes were glazed as he gently swayed from side to side. He'd had a little too much to drink. I shrugged.
"I don't know, he was nice, though."
"Well," David slurred, wrapping his arms around my shoulder and pulling me towards him so that our cheeks were pressed together. "You're mine, Ay," he whispered romantically, before stumbling onto the ground and passing out.