Hospital.

"Are you sure you don't want a seat, love?" a small, eldery nurse asked me, kneeling down beside me. I pulled my knees up to my chest and shook my head. She nodded politely and walked down the corridor. I looked down at the icy blue floor that I was sitting on and felt the cool lino on my bare feet. My dress was still sandy and dirty and there was dried blood in my hair and under my fingernails, but I'd refused when anybody had offered me a shower. I'd been waiting for David at home for almost a week now, and they had kept him asleep a lot of the time.

I looked up at the clock and watched the second hand innocently curve around the circle, passing each of the numbers. It felt like I'd been waiting forever to see David. To make sure he was okay. I felt such a huge responsibility to look after him, since he saved my life twice.

I took a deep breath and looked up at the ceiling, leaning my head against the wall behind me. The pannels of bright lights seemed familiar. 

I felt an arm slip around my waist and lift me. I stared into the eyes of the person who was holding me at arms length, smiling weakly.

"It's me, Austin," he mumbled. I looked down, feeling guilty that I didn't remember him. He cleared his throat and sighed, before pulling me towards him into a hug.

"Is he okay?" I asked, swallowing down a lump in my throat. I could feel Austin's warm breath on my shoulder.

"He's fine," Austin muttered. "I was so scared." His voice cracked, and he whimpered before bursting into tears. I squeezed his waist comfortingly, and he swayed me from side to side in the corridor as we hugged. We stayed in an embrace until a male doctor came over to us, awkwardly adjusting his glasses on his nose and tapping his pen on his clip board until we pulled away from eachother.

"Can I ask what relation you are to David Aulix?" the doctor asked, his voice deep and nasal. I nodded.

"I'm his brother," Austin began, his arm around my waist. "She's his girlfriend." I looked up at him questioningly, but didn't argue. The doctor nodded and held out his arm, ushering us towards David's room.

"After you," Austin whispered gently, letting me slowly walk into David's room. His eyes were closed and he was in a hospital gown, but they'd cleaned the blood from his arms, stomach and chin.

"David," I muttered, holding onto his hand and staring into his pale face for a response. He lay still, his eyes still closed. His breathing was shallow and quiet. I stroked the back of his hand with my thumb as Austin walked over, wiping the tears from his cheeks. He sat on one of the chairs by the wall and watched for some more movement from David, but there was none. 

After a while, I sighed, and looked over at Austin who just patted the chair next to him without looking up. I nodded and leant down to kiss David on the cheek and began to walk away. Just as my fingers grazed his fingertips, he moaned and reached out, grabbing my thumb. I looked down at him. His eyes were still closed, but he was taking deeper breaths and was tugging weakly on my hand.

"Are you awake?" I said, smiling, quickly holding his hand in both of mine. He groaned again, but his eyelids fluttered open and his gaze was slowly drawn to mine.

"Ayla," he whispered quietly, his eyes gleaming. I grinned at him, my stomach tingling. Austin stood up and walking over to the bed, taking David's other hand in his.

"Austin!" David exclaimed, chuckling. He pulled himself up in his bed until he was sitting upright.

"Don't strain yourself," Austin said, his eyes glittering with tears of relief.

"Mate, I'm drugged up to oblivion. It's like graduation all over again," David hummed reassuringly, breaking his hand from mine and rubbing his eyes. "And Ayla," he began quietly, as Austin hurried off to wipe his eyes again.