Hunted

"You'd what, Dean?"

A few moments later, there still wasn't an answer. "Dean!" I pushed.

He finally spoke up, "that I'd have to kill you. He said that I might have to kill you, Emmy."

I put my head in my hands and paced back and forth. Sure, Dad was twisted beyond belief but he's meant to protect me, be a father. Not order my sibling to kill me just because I have something wrong with me.

"Kill me?" I stammered. "What the hell is that meant to mean?"

"I don't know," he answered quietly. Sam stood silently off to the side, not knowing what to say or do. 

"He must've had some kind of reason for saying it, right?" I looked between the two of them, desperation for answers in my eyes, fear for what I know might happen one day in my stomach. "Right?!" I said louder. "Did he know the demons plans for me? Am I supposed to go Darkside or something?"

"I don't know."

"What else did he say, Dean?" Sam asked. 

I walked over to the wooden railing and leaned over it, wanting to jump in the water and not resurface. Seems easier. 

"Nothing, that's it, I swear," Dean responded.

"How could you have not said anything?"

"'Cause it was Dad, and he begged me not to."

"Who cares?! Take some responsibility for yourself, Dean!" I yelled. "You had no right to keep this from me!"

"You think I wanted to, Emerson? I wish to God, he'd never opened his mouth. Then I wouldn't have to walk around with this screaming in my head all day!"

Sam let out a long breath, "I think that we should just try to figure what the hell all this means."

"We do?" Dean spoke, "I've been thinking about this. I think we should just lay low. You know? At least for a while. It'd be safer. That way I can make sure-"

I turned to him, "what? That I don't turn evil? That I don't turn into some kind of killer?"

"I never said that, Emerson."

I laughed, fear pouring out with it, "man, if you're not careful you will have to waste me one day, Dean."

"I never said that! Damn it, Em. This whole thing is spinning out of control! You're immune to some weirdo demon virus, and I don't even know what the hell anymore. You're both pissed at me, I get it. I deserve a lot worse but we lay low until we figure out our next movie, okay?"

I threw my towel in the trunk of the Impala and slammed it shut. "Forget it."

-------------------

Sam woke me up when we were at a motel on the border of Kansas and Nebraska. The door creaked open as he left so I sat up. "Sam? Where're you going?" I asked, tiredly.

Sam turned around, not thinking that I would wake up. "I'll be back in the moring, Emz. Go to sleep." He grabbed the back of my neck and kissed my forehead before leaving. I don't question where he's going again. Maybe he just wants some time to himself.

I rolled over and faced the side that my second source of warmth had laid, hearing the stolen car pull away. 

The next night, Sam stepped foot into the Roadhouse, backpack slung over his right shoulder. Hunters that occupied the Roadhouse, watched him carefully, seeing him as some kind of outsider. Ellen lifted her head, "Sam," she greeted. 

Sam grinned sheepishly, "hey, Ellen. You don't seem to surprised to see me."

Ellen dropped her rag on the bar, "well, Emerson told your brother that you were meant to be back by this morning and he's been calling here worried sick looking for you."