Thirty-six

Bosak paced violently back and forth in his panic room. Here he was safe from everything—everything but his own thoughts. He plucked the antique phone from its cradle and dialed for the Chairman. After a few rings, the line clicked and an old voice came on the line.

“Osprey speaking.”

“Jack, it’s Hank.”

“Hank! It’s so good to hear from you, my boy! I hear you’ve been having some difficulties at the compound. Are you OK?”

“Yes, Jack. Thanks, I’m fine. How are things on your end?”

“Pretty good, but I must confess I’m awfully curious about what’s going on. How’s the pitch coming along?”

Bosak sighed heavily into the phone. “That’s one reason why I’m calling. Things are out of hand. I’d really appreciate your input.”

“Of course. Shoot.”

“Falcon—well, he went and did a crazy thing.” Bosak explained the situation as best he could, pausing to compose his thoughts. “I am worried that we’re waking a sleeping giant.”

“No doubt,” Osprey went silent for a moment. “The way I see it is you’re doing the right thing. If you blow the whistle, this will get ugly fast.” Osprey went into a coughing fit. “On the other hand, it sounds like a breakthrough concept. That Falcon sounds like an evil genius. Which leads me to my first question.”

“Sure. Ask away, Jack.”

“Is he our evil genius? By that I mean, are you sure of his loyalties?”

“I think his motivations are purely ambition, but you’re asking me if he’s on our side?”'

“Right.”

“I think so. He just strikes me as being completely ruthless without consideration of the consequences. I—“

“Don’t tell me you’ve joined the ACLU, Hank! You and I both know the purpose of our business is to make money and cut costs. This seems like the best of both worlds—if you can make it work.”

“I agree with you. It’s just…”

“What, Hank? What’s bothering you?”

Bosak sighed. Had he finally grown a clear-cut moral conscience, or had the years of being top dog worn him out? Had his management ethic finally given way to the hordes of hell? He may as well have been talking to a stranger than his mentor. Finding his resolve, he went back to the conversation.

“No, you’re right. The problem I have is with how he handled the security guard.” He sighed. “I suppose I am concerned about Falcon’s loyalties, after all. I told him to clean up his act, but I don’t think I made a dent. We’ll see what unfolds.”

“Ah. That sounds more like it, Hank.” Osprey adopted a more pedagogical tone. “That is something to worry about. What else bothering you?”

“The number of people involved. I know they signed secrecy agreements when they signed on—all employees do. Falcon gave me a list of names of those involved on the project, but he has consistently withheld information. He said he’s going plug all leaks in the plan, but I don’t trust him. Then we lost power—“

There was a knock on the door.

“Hang on, Jack.” Bosak set the phone down on the desk and answered the door, the pressurized seal hissing as it swung open. It was Lieutenant Hale, carrying his helmet under one arm.

“Sorry to interrupt you, sir. But we have found the cause of the blackout. Explosives.”

“Terrorism.”

“It’s a possibility, sir. One of two we are considering.”

“What is the other?”

“Remember the men hobbling to the exit after we came to get you?”

Bosak nodded.

“A Doctor…” Hale glanced down at his PDA, “Omega filed a report with us detailing that two of them are escaped mental patients.”

Bosak’s face went white. “Two patients? What about the third man?”

“We haven’t found out yet. We are investigating security shifts to see where every one was at the time of detonation. Whoever set off the explosion must have special access and training. Given the evidence, we believe the third man is our culprit.”

“Lieutenant, what are the names of the patients?”

“Miss Omega was not forthcoming with that information. She merely expressed a wish that they be returned to her immediately.”

“I see, I see. Excellent work, Lieutenant. Thank you.” Bosak extended his hand and shook.

“Just fulfilling my duty, sir. It’s what you pay us for. RG stands for quality.”

“I know, but take it as a compliment any way. Your expediency is appreciated.”

“Well, thank you, sir.” Hale turned to leave, but stopped at the door. “We are attempting to track where the fugitives might have gone. We’re having difficulty with the schematics, but I’m sure we’ll have figured it out in a few hours. I will keep you up to date.”

“Thanks again, Lieutenant.” Hale closed the door behind him and Bosak went back to the phone.

“Still there, Jack?”

“Yes, indeed. Who was it?”

“The task leader for RG. Apparently the security guard has escaped with two other men. I don’t believe it—there are even more men involved that Falcon didn’t tell me about.”

“What are you thinking?”

“I’m thinking we need to contain Oliver, contain the situation.”

“Agreed. Special punitive non-disclosure contracts need to be signed.”

“Not just that.”

“What did you have in mind?” 

“I don’t know, Jack. I don’t want to know. But any way the wind blows, he is going to come totally clean.”