Sixty-one

In the serenity of Bosak’s office, the General signed on the screen’s dotted line for an order of twenty soldiers, pursuant to DNA donated from a pool of the US Armed Forces’ chosen candidates.

“Once again for clarity’s sake, we’re under no obligation for more? This is strictly going to be a test run, right?”

“That’s correct, sir. But I think you’ll be more than pleased.”

“I think we will be too. Ultimately, though it’s up to the President where we go with this. He was as outraged as I was at Falcon’s eagerness. You’ve done well, Hank. You really know how to ease a man’s worries.” He reached down and gently patted Omega’s knee with a grin. “Not to mention how keep an old man company.”

“Just doing what we do best, General. We’re so very glad you could pay us a visit.”

Montesque got to his feet and reached across Bosak’s desk to shake his hand. “Well, you’ve got your work cut for you, son. Major Skaggs and I will take our leave of you now and get back to Washington. You have my utmost confidence.”

“Your limo is waiting outside. Thanks so much again for coming.”

Turning his head, the General mouthed, “call me” to Omega as Skaggs led the way to the exit.

After he disappeared out the door, Highet shook Omega’s hand in congratulation. Osprey beamed a glowing smile at Bosak.

“You did it, Hank.”

Bosak embraced Osprey and shook everyone’s hand. “We did it, Jack. Amazing job, Robert, Omega. You were both fantastic. Way to turn on the charm!”

She smiled and winked at the CEO. “One must do what one must do to ensure the deal goes through. A lesson I learned from you, sir.”

“Oh, stop it,” he grinned. “Call me Hank already!”

“What do you want to do now?” Osprey smiled, stifling a yawn. “It’s almost time for the Early Bird Special.”

“Should we pick up where we left off last night, or do you think we should call it a day and start again tomorrow?”

“I’m sure the Board won’t mind another afternoon on the links. Why don’t we call it a day?”

“Father knows best as always, Jack. All right everyone; take the rest of the day off. Hit the links, go to the spa or whatever you want to do is fine by me. Let’s meet back here tomorrow morning with the Board, hopefully with some good news from President Harris.”

Shaking hands one more time all around, Highet and Omega headed out. When they had gone, Osprey put his hand on Bosak’s shoulder and smiled once more. “I am still reeling with delight, Hank. I am so sorry for ever doubting you. Can you forgive me?”

“Jack! It’s already forgiven. Now get out there and hit some balls before going home to that lovely new wife of yours.”

“Alright. Thanks again,” he reached out and embraced Bosak tightly. “My favored son. I’m so proud of you.”

“Mister Bosak?” Kristen’s voice reverberated from the intercom.

"Go on, Jack. Shoo!” The Chairman grinned and headed for the door “What is it, Kristen?”

“Lieutenant Hale is here to see you, sir.”

“Send him right in.”

The door slid open and Hale entered, stepping aside to the departing Chairman. Yamato emerged from the shadows and stood before the glass partition, knives at the ready.