Thirty-seven

In the restored light, the clones watched in anticipation as Klaus waddled down the aisle to stand on his soapbox. Klingel eyed them aloofly from the entrance.

“I apologize for the delay, dear ones.” He adjusted his lapels and shook his head. “I am sure you have all been worried and surprised by all that his happened today. So much, so fast. You have done in days what takes years to achieve. This is not what I hoped to put you through. Let it be a lesson to you that sometimes you have to rely on yourselves, and not the company, for support.”

The assembly watched him with worried interest. Three coughed nervously and looked around at his brethren. Most eyes were glued on Klaus, but Six was idly turning the pages of another dirty magazine, glancing up only when he reached the articles.

“With that said, I believe you all behaved admirably. I couldn’t have hoped for a better showing. You should be proud.” Smiles lit up the room. “And I have also been informed by Mister Falcon that the General’s visit will be pushed back to tomorrow morning.”

Grumbles filled the room. Klaus raised his hand for silence. “I know many of you are anxious. I am sure most of you are downright shaky.  That is one reason we will celebrate today’s success with a little party!”

The group brightened and gave a cheer.

“Excellent. I have gained permission for us to use one of the multipurpose rooms downstairs. Festivities will begin at six o’clock. I’ll drop by around 5:30 to pick you up. In the meantime, relax and enjoy yourselves!”