Forty-five

The party continued without a hitch, despite the lurking figure of Hugo dominating the room. There was something vaguely familiar about these men that bothered him. He snarled to himself as the festivities carried on.

The band had taken a break and all had gathered around the screen to munch popcorn and enjoy the show. Three was worried. It had been more than an hour since Doctor Klaus had left without a word. The rhinoceros guarding the door gave no hint as to when he was expected to return. Instead, he growled at Three and told him to “Back the fuck off!”

Three rejoined the congregation and tried to busy himself with the duel taking place on film. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Six rummaging through some boxes he’d found under the serving table. But no matter how hard he tried to lose himself in the moment, Three couldn’t help but worry.

Suddenly, the lights flickered on and off rapidly and a cadre of armed men stormed through the entrance. Hugo tackled two in one swift motion, crashing their helmets together, before a swarm of combatants brought him down. Calmly, one man broke off from the pack and walked towards the assembly. He pulled his helmet off gently and spoke.

“I am Lieutenant Hale from RoboGuard Security Systems International. Who’s in charge down here?”

The brethren gaped at him, wide eyed, as the guards continued to pummel Hugo into submission.

“Please, will someone tell me who is in charge?”

Three stepped forward nervously. “Doctor Klaus is in charge, sir. And his associate, Doctor Klingel.”

“And you are?”

“Three.”

“Three?”

“My full name is JON-03, but Doctor Klaus just calls me Three.”

““I see.” Hale froze and gawked at the identical faces staring back at him.  “Well, I don’t know if I’m the one to give you the news, son.”

“News of what, sir?” Three asked.

“Yeah,” Six cut in, looking up from his rummaging, “what’s going on?” The clones began to mutter at once.

Hale raised his palms for silence. “Please wait right here until I can sort this out. Go back to your movie. I will return as soon as possible.”  He turned, and then strode violently towards the fallen Hugo. Reaching down, he lifted the gargantuan up to his feet by the collar. Slapping him across the face, he glowered. The giant cringed.

Glancing down at the man’s ID badge, Hale growled. “You are Security Associate Hugo?”

Hugo nodded, wincing.

“And who are these men?”

“I don’t know.”

Hale struck him again. “Not good enough.”

“Clones or something.” The giant spit out a tooth. “How should I know?”

Hale clenched his fist and raised it to strike him again, but lingered. “Who ordered you to guard these men?”

“Captain Tanzer.”

“And how do I get in touch with him?

“His office is on the third floor of the Personnel Building. Look, that’s all I know!”

Hale released his grip on the man and shoved him away. “Martins and Higgins—you boys keep an eye on things down here. Zimbardo, see if this Captain Tanzer is in his office. If he is, radio me and have him sit tight. I’m going to break the news to the President.”