Forty-seven

“You have the power to end this, Omega!” Falcon struggled against his restraints. “Bosak’s a fool! How could you stab me in the back like that?”

“Now relax, mon cher. You’ve already told me everything we need to know. Don’t fight it and this will all be over soon.” Her eyes smiled at him over her turtle shell reading glasses. “I have learned so much from you, Oliver. With your wonderful desire to get ahead. I am merely doing what you would have done to me, given the chance. But fear not. You are going to a place best suited for your talents. Monsieur Bosak has called some very special people to get you your new job. All that we have left to do is remove all memory of this recent nastiness.”

“What new job? What the hell are you talking about? You can’t do this to me! What about all that we shared together? Doesn’t that mean anything to you?”

“Apparently it meant nothing to you, otherwise you would have called! Flowers, something.” Omega pouted and worked her way behind Falcon, placing the interface device on his neck. Twisting her thumb, the spike lodged in place. Falcon whimpered. Plugging in the cable with a click, she curtly stepped around to the front of the chair and leaned down, tickling his chin with a finely manicured nail.

“Fear not, cher. I’m sure you’ll just love being the new greeter at the Quad-City Vir-Mart. The only place to go is up!” She thrust her hand skyward and, with a mad laugh, sat down at her station. Quickly punching in the sequence, she reclined in her chair and watched the funny faces Falcon began to make.