Forty-nine

“It is with a heavy heart that I must be the bearer of bad news.” Henry Bosak slouched at the podium, crestfallen. All eyes watched him in rapt silence. He cleared his throat. “After careful deliberation, Vice President of Human Resources Oliver Falcon has decided to pursue other career opportunities. He has resigned.”

“Good riddance, say I.” MacLellan huffed. “That arsehole has no comprehension of the magnitude of the shite storm he’s stirred up.”

“Hear hear, Andrew.” Konstantin thumped his desk. “The man is a cockroach. A liability.”

“There’s something else,” Bosak paused for silence. “Two of our project leads, Doctor Gustav Klaus and Doctor Arnold Klingel were found murdered tonight in this very building. Shot in the head.”

Looks of panic washed over the executives. Several bolted out of their chairs, ambling for the exit. Bosak blinked and shook his head.

“Please, gentlemen,” he bellowed, “be seated! We are not children here.” Heads turned and, nonchalantly, the fleeing suits traipsed back to their chairs.

“Thank you. We are safest here and if we stick together. I have given Lieutenant Hale command of the compound until we can restore order among our ranks. I have complete faith in both his and his team’s abilities.”

“Why outsource security completely?” asked Guo. “I mean, don’t we trust our people?”

“I’ll get to that in a moment.”

“Get to it now, Hank,” Osprey said impatiently. “If there’s a threat, we need to know about it now.”

Bosak sighed. “Right now we believe the persons involved in the murders are employees.”

A prolonged silence hung in the air, broken only by staccato whispers.

“Alright,” said Osprey with a sigh. “You did the right thing, Hank.”

“Who would do such a thing?” exclaimed Takashi.

“Lieutenant Hale is pursuing the matter, Takashi-san. We will find the culprits responsible. You have my word on that. So,” Bosak drew himself back up to his usual billowing stature, “the still question remains: what do we do about the project? Robert, your thoughts?”

Robert Highet leaned back in his chair and glanced at his notes. “Well, Hank. It would look very bad if we didn’t at least try to pitch this to the General tomorrow. I don’t think the General, let alone our President, will be pleased with a wasted trip. While we conferred we all agreed that calling it quits is a huge waste of potential.”

“I’m with you, Robert. However, without Klaus and Klingel we don’t have much to build on with what we’ve got. We’ll have to get some new blood—folks that can pick up where the good doctors left off. I doubt we can get someone in time for the tour tomorrow.”

Konstantin nodded. “I know people, top men working in Scandinavia who might be up to the task. We can also tap the universities. I will make calls.”

MacLellan objected. “Gregor, we all know that academics don’t like the idea of profiting from science. They prefer accumulating larger and larger amounts of student debt.” There was a collective titter.

“OK,” Bosak broke in, “we can’t get these men overnight. But as soon as possible, if the project is to continue. Gregor, if you would be so kind to tap your resources for the hires.”

“Absolutely,” the Russian nodded and opened his pocket computer, typing rapidly.

“In the meantime, I suggest that for tomorrow we make it a short visit. A simple tour of the building, lunch and then a brief inspection of the JONs. Now, who wants to accompany the General besides me?” Bosak leaned back on the podium and surveyed the room of frustrated faces.

Highet raised his hand. “I’ll go, Hank. No matter where, no matter when: you’ll always need a good salesman on your side. Omega too.” Highet turned his head, searching the room for her. “Where the hell is she anyway?”

“Don’t worry, Robert. I asked her to run back to her office to get me all the data she has. She’ll be back soon.”

“OK. She’s the best person we have left to answer any technical questions the General might have.”

“You’re right.” Bosak swung his arms back and clapped his hands. “Great! Glad to have you both on board. Anyone else? Who wants to meet the General?”

No one else raised their hands or indicated any interest in dealing with the visit. Finally, it was Jack Osprey’s warm voice that cut the tension like a hot knife through butter.

“I’ll go, Hank. Put me down for an early tee-time.”

“Are you sure, Jack?”

“Nothing reeks of respectability quite like both the Chairman and the CEO of a company backing an initiative.”

“Excellent. Okay then, the four of us will have breakfast and sort out our game plan for Uncle Sam. Until then, why don’t we adjourn for the evening and the rest of you can join us again tomorrow after the General’s departure? I’ve made special arrangements with Lieutenant Hale to have everyone escorted to the VirCorp Suites where I have been assured we’ll be absolutely safe.”

“That’s the most sensible idea I’ve heard all day!” MacLellan grinned, and the executives packed it up for the night.