Forty-one

As Bosak punched in the code to the panic room, Osprey smiled at the gathered executives through the pane of glass.

“Quite a wonderful bunch we have here.”

“Indeed. We make one hell of a team.” He pushed the heavy door open and held it for Osprey. “After you.”

Osprey gave a pleasant little salute and stepped across the threshold. Bosak followed, closing the door and activating the pressure seal. Making his way to an overstuffed leather chair, he stopped at the bar to pour two whiskeys. Handing one to his mentor, he sat down across from him.

“So, what’s on your mind, Jack?”

“I hope you can forgive an old man’s whimsy, Hank.”

  “Of course.”

“A few months ago, you were out of the picture. In your absence, I told Falcon to go ahead with the project, knowing full well what it would entail.”

Bosak stared at him in shock, dropping his drink on the Oriental rug. At last, he blinked and sank back into his chair. “What?”

“Remember what Drucker once said, ‘Business has only two functions: marketing and innovation.’”

Slowly, Bosak nodded. “Touché.”

Osprey leaned forward and put a comforting hand on the CEO’s knee. “Since we’re getting knee deep in this quagmire, I want to play straight with you. I’ve been worried about you, Hank. I thought you were beginning to lose that killer instinct and wanted to give someone else a chance. But now I see I was wrong.”

“I see. Jack, why didn’t you come to me about this first?”

“Whim, and the fact that you were completely unreachable in Tibet. I’m sorry, Hank. Really I am. The truth is that I thought Falcon was going to push the limits, not cross them. I told him he would have to find someone willing to consent to the corporate use of his or her DNA. Turns out he thought little of the consequences. And now we’re all riding on the outcome of my mistake. Can you forgive me?”

Bosak was close to tears. No matter how much he had learned how ruthless nature of business politics could be, being wounded by one’s mentor cut to the bone. “That hurts, Jack. But I’ll get by. I may have gotten longer in the tooth, but I’m still top dog. We’re going to get this deal.”

Osprey slapped him on the knee. “That’s exactly what I want to hear.  Do you still trust me?”

“Of course, Jack. You’re a second father to me.”

“Good. Then, as a father, there’s something else. Falcon called me before the meeting.”

“Did he now?” Bosak took a pull from his glass.

“He proposed we have you deposed.”

Bosak laughed hard, nearly choking on his whiskey.  “That’s rich! He really said that?” He eyed his mentor with renewed scrutiny.

Osprey took a sip of his drink, and then set it down on the coffee table. “Indeed he did. What I want to know is how you plan to deal with him.”

“Clearly he’s become more a liability than an asset. He needs to be removed from his authority.”

“I concur. How?”

Bosak grinned wickedly, a conspiratorial flame in his eyes. “How about a taste of his own medicine? I confess I am most interested in seeing Omega’s program in action.”

Osprey cracked a smile. “There he is!”

“Who?” Bosak grinned.

“The same Hank I’ve known all these years.”

“Yamato-san?” Bosak beckoned. Osprey looked around puzzled as the bodyguard emerged from the shadows and bowed.

“Bosak-sama?” 

“Would you please see to it that Mister Falcon gets safely to Omega’s office? I wouldn’t want him to miss his appointment.”