Chapter 22: Mothers daughter

The stagnant body rippled at the sudden burst of power, it flowed through her veins in a frenzy, no sense of control. Blue, indigo, copper fused into one and twisted and bound tight with the new presence seizing the vessels stream. Revitalised the organs sped up their process, knitting tendon and flesh together. The damage caused by the young women's sacrifice now undid itself, erasing all fatality. The heart shook and shuddered, shaking off frozen fractals and resumes it's warming rhythm. The flesh wounds around the ankles and wrists regained their ghostly colour, purple returning to flesh. The worn fingers raised and clutched upon warm callused hands. So much warmth and power. She felt her heart flutter as realisation dawned on her. The midnight eyes flickered open; all the stars and moon hanging high in her pupils.

Jasper hunched over her, his hair disentangled and covering his eyes; the soft strands swayed at each rumble of the carriage. Sweat beaded down his temple and glowing surge of lighting flickered across his cheek and up to his temple. This was the phoenix rearing it's head to her.

The power intensified and her body melted into it. Her heart began to race and her healing speed up miraculously. The poisonous chemicals however remained in her bloodstream and interlocked into the reincarnation power. Her body grew in temperature. This was too much. Emmeline was not sure how much longer she could take the power.

Her blurred ears drifted in and out of Theodore's shouts and calls to stop.

stop, stop

She joined in with Theodore's aggressive rhythm.

"Please" Her hand twisted around his hands upon her chest and she gripped him tight afraid to let the warmth and honey leave her, "I'm okay."

Emmeline raised herself into a sitting position, her eyes locked on glowing amber. Her fingers melted away from the heat and found themselves upon the fine wavy curls licking his eyebrows and forehead, she pushed them aside. Silence wrapped around the two, the orange glow caressing their bodies.

Golden red found Midnight, their eyes fixed together. A smile danced across her lips, relief on his.

Jasper jerked back and released his power once more into Emmeline. The plump lips gasped for air and her head tilted back, as the orange glow swirled in a vacuum into her body.

Theodore yanked Jasper back, breaking the connection. The phoenix power fizzled and disappeared like ash on the wind. Theodore sat back down, forcing Jasper beside him, his grip painful.

The hazel eyes glared at Jasper, "What were you thinking?" He hissed.

The tawny dishevelled strands shuddered as his companion lifted his head, "She is too young to die..."

"And you thought using your power, which you know that you do not possess control over. Why risk it Jasper, you could have ended your life as well."

"That's it Theodore, she revived me when I was moments from death and you too....it was time we returned the favour"

Theodore sighed into silence, his hazel eyes avoiding Jasper's gaze.

He knew that Theodore understood, however annoyed that he was right. Emmeline deserved to live, after so much pain, torture and loss it was now a time for her life to spring up and remove itself from the shadows.

Jasper gagged, his throat contracted. The hazel eyes flickered to him in concern.

Jasper bent over and vomited blood. His shoes and lap sodden. A handkerchief reached the metallic liquid upon his hands, wiping it gingerly from the pale flesh.