Chapter 31 (Part 2)

*NOTE: Check out the audiobook version of this chapter voiced by kaelking12 (Kristen M.)! Featuring music by The Victors, Saint Raymond, and All The Luck In The World.

Elias

I show up at my dad's a half an hour later wearing an outfit Jersey won't forgive me for buying.

It's not because it doesn't look good. I picked out a sleek, slate gray, fitted suit that had half the female staff drooling all over themselves when I tried it on. I got compliments left and right. One of them even got ballsy enough to try to ask for my number.

The only girl in the room not gawking at me was Jersey--which put me in a shitty mood. I walked out of the fitting room, looking GQ classy, and instead of falling all over herself, she decided to discuss government conspiracy theories with an old dude waiting for his turn to change. I stood right in front of her, cleared my throat, and she took one look at me--one--and then went right back to talking about Area 51 with Mr. fucking Rodgers.

I wouldn't have cared if he was senile or blind or whatever, but the dude was drooling through is dentures at the sight of Jersey in that dress.

The one I picked out especially for her.

Ancient or not, all guys dicks function the same way, and if the dude hadn't needed a little help from Viagra, his hard-on for Jersey would've been as obvious as my frustration.

So after she finished her ten minute spiel on alien invasions, I politely took her by the hand, led her to the check out, and that's when she freaked.

The thing is, Jersey's not used to how things work in the King family when it comes to money. My dad spends most of his income on good suits, better Brandy, and top-of-the-line cars, and he expects his sons to do the same. Tanner and I never bought into his material bullshit mostly because Mom brought us up humble.

But Dad resented the both us for taking after her. He would've sent Tanner to USC instead of UCLA if he could've. And, would've dragged me into business or law school if I hadn't been such a fuck up.

Luckily, the both of us got far enough away from him to try to live like normal people.

We don't talk about money, trust funds, or any of the crap dad has in place to set us up for life. But when we show up to his parties, we do it on his terms.

And his terms meant dropping no less than a grand on a suit. I just wish Jersey hadn't seen the price tag.

She hasn't said anything to me since.

I need her to start talking.

I need her to calm me down.

And I need her to stop scarfing down the bag of chips she found under the front seat and genuinely look at me instead of spacing out.

But like I said, the girl likes food more than me, so if I don't un-piss her off in the next thirty seconds, I might have to walk into my dad's party solo or bail on it all together.

"Alexandra Elisha Regazzi Summers," I say.

Her head snaps in my direction, and she stares at me opened mouthed and totally confused.

"Why are you using my whole name?"

"Because I want your attention--"

In more ways than one.