Chapter One: Cassidy's Diner

• Dedicated to Arabella

... 1999...

"I'm so sick of this!" I sighed as I lugged my suit case into the new house.

"Addison, we are only going to be here for a couple of months. It'll be fine." My Dad smiled that fake "trust me I'm an adult" smile that just screamed for an eye roll.

"That's the point, Dad!" I whined, "Can't we just stay in one place for at least a year?" 

"Sweetheart, you know your father's work involves traveling." My mother said moving my long bangs out of my eyes and adjusting my pony-tail. That's my mother, a perfectionist on everybody. It's a shame we look so a like, same yellow-blond hair and same piercing blue eyes, when I'm a total anti-perfectionist. 

"Yeah, yeah" I drone, "Accountants never sleep." A small smile works its way onto my parent's faces as they see I've finally picked up their tacky saying. 

"Besides if you want to stay put for – say four years – you could always go to college." My Dad pushes again. Ah, yes – the college thing. Ever since I graduated High School, my parents have been bugging me to go to college. The ole higher education never really appealed to me though; must be because I did so stellar in school before. Ha. 

"Stop" I say waving away their ideas with my hands, "if you are going to go with the college pitch, just drop it. The sooner you do, the happier we'll all be." 

"Addison, don't you want to just try." My mother begs of me, her smiling quickly fading.

"Nope" I shake my head furiously, my cheeks burning red with embarrassment. "School never really went well for me. I'm just not as smart as you wish I was. Sorry." I say and brush past my parents, finding my way up the stairs.

"Addison –" My Mother reaches for me, but I'm already too far away for her to reach me; physically and mentally. 

I dump my suitcase onto my new bed in a room I passively choose and grab a jacket out of it. "I'm going out!" I yell down to my parents and sneak down the stairs and out the back door before they can protest. I have nowhere to go, but my mind begins to form a plan to get my parents of my back: a job. I wander around town keeping a look-out for help wanted signs, but only succeed in finding one at a local diner. 

"What can I get cha, hon?" A girl with blond, curly hair tied into a bun on top of her head asks me with a thick southern accent as I sit down at the front bar.  Her tight, white tee-shirt with Cassidy's Diner stitched in red on the chest rids up her stomach revealing a flying bird tattoo along her hip bone. 

"I'm here about the Help Wanted sign." I say pointing to the sign in the window.

"Perfect," she smiles and then pops a big pink bubble in my face. Never mind. I think when she calls, "Aunt Mae! Somebody's here about the job!"

A short, gray haired woman pokes her head out of the kitchen window and takes me in. "You know how to take orders?" She asks me.

"Well, I've never worked at a diner before –" I start before she cuts me off.

"Yes or no" She wrinkles her nose at me.

"No." I shake my head, already seeing my opportunity fly out the window.

"Well, do you know how to listen?" Aunt Mae says clearly annoyed.

"Yes," I nod.

"Do you know how to write?" She says disappearing back into the kitchen.

"Yes," I nod again.

"Then you know how to take orders." I can almost imagine Aunt Mae rolling her eyes at me, "You're hired. Holly, give her the uniform and her schedule."

Holly, the girl with the bird tattoo, reaches under the counter and dumps a matching shirt – just like hers – and pants. "Though you do have the legs for the skirt," she says modeling in her own. I decline.

"You can start tomorrow at 8:00 A.M., although we could use the help now." She bats her eyes at me and I kind of feel uncomfortable. 

"Yeah, sure" I say just to get her to stop and march of to go change in the bathroom Holly points me too. Much to my displeasure the tee-shirt has the same effect on me; a good amount of skin is shown along my stomach and hips. Plus, the pants are a little too tight for my preference. 

When I return Holly points me to two boys and says, "They're a good first time," and when I turn around to ask her what she means she's gone into the kitchen and makes a shooing motion with her hands.

I sigh and turn to the boy in plaid studying his laptop through his long bangs. "What'll it be today?" I drone, already sinking in to the monotony of this new job.

"I'm good, Holly" he says without bothering to look up, "just studying for finals this week. It's impossible to learn everything from an entire class when you've only been here for two weeks." He rakes his hand through his shaggy hair and sighs exasperated.

"It's Addison, not Holly," I feel blood rush into my cheeks with embarrassment over the matter that he mistake me for Holly. "I'm new here."

At that he looks up at me and smiles a genuine smile, "Hey Addison. I'm Sam," He nods to the boy next to him, "and this is my brother, Dean."

"What can I get you, Dean?" I ask turning to the less approachable brother in biker boots and a leather jacket. 

"You don't happen to have any good pie? Would you, Madison?" Dean asks, getting my name wrong – probably on purpose.

"Addison," Sam says elbowing his brother in the ribs.

"So pie for Dean and –" I begin, repeating back their order.

"Nothing for my geek little brother," He says and slams Sam's laptop closed.

"Dean!" Sam protests, but it's already too late. We're both laughing – Dean and I.