Chapter Eighteen: Shop 'Till Someone Drops

...2014...

"You're kidding," I laugh into the cheap and easily ditch-able cellphone that Sam got me after he realized I stole his. This phone is dedicated for Callum, my now boyfriend, and any friends I make at school. A strip of masking tape on it says "CIV" short for civilian. My other phone labeled "FAM" with only the members of the bunker having the number. Tomorrow, when school starts, I'll have to have the FAM phone on me at all times.

"No, I swear! Dude totally hit on my Mom." Callum replies, continuing his story about fellow bandmate Matt. From what I've learned, Matt is twenty-years-old, a college drop-out, and a mega player. Jude hates him, and to be honest I don't think he's very fond of Callum either.

"Ew," I groan into the phone as I shade in Callum's dark complexion into my drawing of him. "This is like some horrible 'your mom' joke gone terribly wrong."

"Exactly! So anyway like the next day, we're all in Matt's basement getting high –"

"Callum!" I cut him off.

"What?" He asks into the phone confused, "Don't tell me you've never gotten high before Cassie?" He's officially decided that his nickname for me will be Cassie. I hate it.

"Callum, my mom," I say un-subtlety reminding him of her drug problem.

"Oh right. I'm sorry, Cassie. I'm really bloody sorry." His accent slips through and I can't help but giggle at it.

"Talk British to me."

"Ha. Ha." He deadpans, but I can hear the smile behind it. "So anyway we're all in his basement being good little boys –"

"Ew." I say teasing him, "Sounds like a porno."

"Shut-up," He laughs, "Anyway, so Matt's mom comes downstairs to do laundry and she's like a solid 3.5. Like she's okay, but she's like not beautiful like you."

"I'm almost flattered."

"So I make some joke about how I would bang his mom –"

"You're disgusting. Why do I even like you?" I laugh as Lindsey knocks on my door before opening it and sticking her tiny head through.

"Family meeting." She says and disappears back outside.

"Because I'm adorable," Callum replies continuing his story. I put the phone down on the bed and clean up my room a bit. I shove my pencils into the desk drawer and fold up Callum's drawing and place it under my bed with the others that I haven't finished or don't want to hang up. When I pick it back up Callum's almost done with his story, "So then she was like 'not without a date first.' And that's why the band is called Date With Desiree."

"Wow." I say having no other suitable response.

"Yeah I know right." He says still laughing at his own stupid story.

Another knock at the door and Jude pokes his head in. "Cassidy. C'mon, we're waiting on you." But when I give him a "just one minute" sign he rolls his eyes and grabs the phone out of my hand.

"Bye Callum." He says in a high pitched voice, imitating me. Then he slaps the phone closed and throws me over his shoulder.

"What are you doing!" I protest, but he marches right out the door with me.

"Move it or lose it." He says and then flings me down on the couch next to Lindsey and JJ. He plops down on the opposite couch and wraps his arm around Lauren – their earlier feud over.