Chapter Twenty-Four: Pieces

...2014...

"Lin, what are you doing?" JJ says sleepily, with a hint of irritation in his voice. His arm is thrown over his face, so I can't quite read his expression. Plus, twin telepathy is a joke.

"Sorry," I say, lifting the bow off my violin and moving it away from my chin. "The music's soothing,"

"I know," He says, sitting up on the couch. We decided to sleep in the living room this night; our rooms were left so spotless from Theresa's attack that it seemed like a trap to even step inside them.

"It's just with everything that's happened –" I set the violin back into its case. When we were younger we both played. JJ was always better, until he quit. He quit a lot of things when Dad sat us down and told us our mother had died. We had never even met her – and never would. We've always been close, but we became really close after that.

"Want to talk about it?" He asks, and I want to say yes. I always want to say yes. That's another thing that changed when our mother died. JJ started to tell me more, and I started to tell him less. He's guessed most about me though – my eating disorder, my sexuality, my anger at him. He also doesn't guess a lot – but I can't blame him.

"No," I say, but I plop down next to him on the couch anyway. I take off my red glasses and set them on the coffee table, rubbing my palms into my tired eyes. It's about 3:30 in the morning.

"I'm not going back to sleep until you talk," He says elbowing me in the ribs.

"Sorry about your bad luck," I say pulling my knees up to my chest and resting my chin on them.

"Fine, I'll talk. I hate how my baby-sister won't talk to me anymore." He says, quite seriously.

"I'm older." I force smile.

"That's actually never been proven," He says and bops me on the nose. Our Dad wasn't in the hospital when we were born, so our mom and the nurses are the only ones who would know. She also has our birth certificates and we never cared enough to really investigate it. I think that we both know deep down that it is JJ who's older.

"Psh," I lean my head on his shoulder.

"C'mon, tell me something going on in that head of yours. We both know our twin telepathy is shit," He says, elbowing me again. I hate it when he does that.

"John, stop." I say angrily.

"Don't call me that." He says, looking betrayed that I said his real name out loud.

"Then don't be such a jerk, okay?" I say standing up and putting my glasses back on.

"Okay, yeah," He says sarcastically, "I'm the jerk here; actually giving you an effing opportunity to talk to someone."

Before we can continue snapping at each other the door to the bunker opens. JJ leaps up, grabbing my arm and throwing me behind him. He whips a gun out from the back of his pants and points it at the suspects – the safety already off.

...

"Jesus," Jude says, shoving me behind him when we open the door to see JJ pointing a gun at our faces. "John effing Junior, put the goddamn gun on the floor."

"Prove it. How am I supposed to believe you? Why'd you leave?" JJ demands shaking the pistol at Jude, his fingers white knuckled.

Jude turns his head sideways, his eyes never leaving JJ's and addresses me, "Take Lindsey into your room, I'll be there soon," I notice he grips the hilt of a gun poking out of the back of his pants.