Chapter Five: Interviewing Innocence

• Dedicated to My Sam

…1999 …

I lay in my bed, covers over my head, pretending to be asleep. Today is my day off from working at the diner. I think Aunt Mae was trying to be nice, but honestly I would much rather be their working than here either ignored or pestered by my parents; depends on the amount of work. My deep, steady breathes almost lull me back into sleep. I probably would have fallen, except for the loud sound of the Winchesters’ Impala pulling into the drive way. It certainly shocked me; Sam typically only came for study sessions with my parents on weekdays. 

I slowly get out of bed, wrapping myself in my comforter and heading towards the top of the stairs to listen in and make my decision of being awake or not. I plop down on the first step and lean my head against the stair railing, readjusting my comforter for maximum coziness. I hear my parents warmly greeting Sam and then something I didn’t except – a fourth voice: Dean’s. 

“Hey Mrs. and Mr. Walker, Addison wouldn’t happen to be home would she?” He asked.

I’m not sure what I expect to feel, but my heart kind of jumps with excitement. But just as soon as it came, it’s gone and now it’s replaced with dread. Why would Dean want to talk to me? Something about Sam? Something about Holly? The Diner? My mind keeps spinning with horrible scenarios and endless possibilities. If there is one thing that I do know, it’s that waiting only increases your anxiety. I stand up, put on my best sleepy face, and pad down the rest of the stairs into view of the others.

My mother has already started helping Sam while my father stands in front of Dean with an inquisitive look. “Hey Sam,” I smile in his direction and turn to Dean, “and Dan right?” I joke even though I know his name. A little payback for all the times he’s forgotten my name. 

“It’s Dean.” He says awkwardly, so unlike his own natural temperament. “Can we talk for a minute?”

“Yeah, sure” I say and then raise my eyebrows to signal that he can start anytime now. We stand at an uncomfortable two feet away with my father staring him down. It’s really no surprise when he asks if we can talk in private.

My dad gives me a look and I wave him off. We both turn back to look at Sam and my mother do homework together. My dad gives me a better look, one saying he’s Sam’s brother – how bad could he be?

If only he knew.

The family who had owned this house before us had had children, thus the century’s old swing set that was a tetanus shot waiting to happen. When we first moved here I tried to imagine small children playing on the swing set as it was brand-new, having the time of their innocent lives. Then I started to think about how the children grew and used the swing set less and less. The new happy swing set soon became the abandoned swing set which had rusted away with times; much like the children who turned into adults. Who knew so much philosophy could lie within an old swing-set? Walking out here with Dean to go sit on the swings made me think of where the children are now and how they would feel if they saw their abandoned swing set.

 If only they knew.

“What’s up?” I say as he takes the swing next to mine on the swing set.

“I just need to ask you a few questions about Cassidy’s.” He says and shifts awkwardly as if not completely sure how to sit on a swing.

I kick my feet out and begin to get a small amount of height on the swing, “The diner? Why?”

“Have you seen any suspicious activity?” He says moving his head back and forth to watch me as I gain more momentum.

“Well, I’m not allowed in the kitchen.” I say going for a joke, but it falls flat. “Define suspicious.”

“Anything strange, unusual, different?” He begins to try to use the swing, and bite my lip to not laugh a bit. He must really not know how to swing. What a peculiar boy.

“Stop with the vague words.” I say and jump out of my swing. Before he can react I stand behind him and grab the ropes on the swing and drag them back. I let go before he can protest. When he swings back I push on his back, sending him forward just like my mother did for me when I was little.

“What are you doing?” He says rather abruptly digging his heels into the ground to stop the swinging.

“Showing you how to swing” I say stepping back. This was a bad idea. 

He stands up awkwardly and switches gears back to the original conversation. “Strange like cold-spots?”

“Nope”

“Electrical storms?”

“None”

“Flickering lights?”

“Okay, now this is just getting stupid.” I cross my arms.

“Well, thanks for the help.” He says and begins to walk back to the house. 

“Anytime” I say sarcastically and watch him walk away.

He gets about half-way back to the house when he turns around rather abruptly and says, “If you do think of anything strange, anything at all, give me a call.” He hands me his number of a neat little business card. It takes all my self-restraint not to burst out laughing. “Or you can just call yourself.”

“Ha.” I smirk, “You’re cute.” 

“Cute? I’m adorable.” He says mocking offended.

“Sam is cute. You’re kind of scary.” I say trying to hide a smile.

“Scary good or scary bad?” He asks.

“I haven’t decided yet.” But I have an idea.

A/N: Hey guys, it's Carter! Sorry it's been over a month (yikes!) Not my best chapter but more is coming and fast! I promise!