Chapter Twenty: Meet Virginia

...2014...

"Virginia?" Lindsey asks, staring confusedly up at Jude.

"I thought your sister was dead." I say quietly pulling the ace out of Jude's hand. The back is slick with Lauren's blood, but Virginia's signature on the front remains perfectly intact.

"She is dead." He almost whispers taking the card back from me with a hint of hostility. I'm reminded of his odd behavior when I kept the card out of his reach for too long. I had thought it was mostly because of his unresolved feelings about his sister's death, but perhaps it was something so much more.

"Her ghost is tied to the card, isn't it Jude?" Sam sighs looking disappointedly at Jude.

He only nods in response, tracing his thumb over the loops in Virginia's cursive.

Sam shakes his head, "I'm not going to lecture you on how unbelievably dangerous that is. You probably already know the risks of not letting her go."

"No! It's not -" Jude struggles to defend himself, "She won't let go!"

"Hold up." JJ says as he squints his eyes at Jude and tugs his own sister closer to him, "What did you mean when you said that Virginia saw what happened. Bobby's panic room is ghost proof. She couldn't have seen anything."

Jude flinches at the word ghost used in such a harsh voice, "It is ghost proof unless I summon her. I found an incantation on the floor the day Cassidy showed up."

"Hey don't pin this on me. You're the one who has been summoning ghosts!" I yell at him when everyone's eyes slide towards me at the mention of the incantation.

"Everybody shut-up!" Lindsey's tiny voice explodes over the arguing. "Jude just summon Virginia and ask her who did this."

Jude just nods and places Virginia's card on the sludge-covered floor.

"Not in here." Sam sighs.

...

Once outside Jude replaces Virginia's card on the cold grass.

"Virginia," Is all he says.

Right before our eyes a red-headed girl around 18-years-old materializes. She isn't the see-through white Casper-like ghost I was expecting. She looks perfectly alive except for the slight static in her image and what looks like blood stains on her overalls.

"Hey Jude," She says with a mischievous smile slowly brightening up her round face.

"Virginia, what happened last night?" Jude demands.

Her image flickers and the smile on her face quickly fades, "I can't tell you."

"Why not?" Sam answers angrily.

"Because I can't. She put some kind of spell on me. I can't say anything." Virginia almost whispers.

"Who's she? Theresa?" Jude asks.

"No. I've said too much." Virginia's image twitches and her face pulls into a grimace of pain.

"Is it Theresa, V?" Jude asks clenching his fists at his sides.

"No," She clutches the straps of her overalls, "But she's here, Jude. She's watching me."

At this revelation I see both Sam and Jude's eyes flicker towards me. In a sudden swell of anger I almost missed the fact that JJ's eyes look to Lindsey.