Chapter Fifteen: For Better Or For Worse

...1999...

                "Anything else, George?" I ask another regular at Cassidy's diner. George is really a sweet guy; he's only a few years older than me and with a batshit crazy fiancé. They're the couple Dean and I promise to never be like. She's always nagging him and he's so obviously annoyed by her, but they stay together for god knows what. Love is weird.

                "Not unless you happen to have any cigarettes for me," George laughs and his blond hair falls into his eyes.

                "Sorry, George," I smile and rip off his order to hand to Aunt Mae.

                Holly bounces in through the door and waves to George. She nods at me officially signaling my break. I let down my hair from its ponytail and poke my head into the kitchen. "Hey Aunt Mae, I'm going on my break."

                "Just clean up those two tables by the door first, hon." Aunt Mae smiles at me. That's strange. Aunt Mae normally just grunts in agreement or something.

                "Okay." Whatever, maybe she's just having a good day.

                I begin to wipe down the first table when Dean enters Cassidy's. "Hey!" We quickly kiss and then I look at him expectantly, "How'd it go?"

                "I got the job!" He announces drawing the attention of some other patrons in the diner.

                I let out a squeal and we both hug. Dean's been job hunting for two weeks and he went in for an interview today. This all has been really hard on Dean since his father showed up and took Sam to the next new town. They got in a huge fight and John basically disowned Dean. He moved in with my parents and me in our house. My own parents are moving next week and my mom said that the rent on our house runs out that same week so we can't stay there. We've both been in rushes to get jobs and a place to stay. Needless to say, we're moving far, far away. Dean found a little apartment in Lawrence, Kansas and we've already put in our deposit. We're leaving in four days.

                "It doesn't make much, but we'll have enough to pay for rent. And your job can pay for food and all that other shit. We're going to be fine." He laughs at this as if he can't believe it. "I can't believe it."

                "Me either. I've been waiting to move out forever. I can't believe it's finally happening. I can't believe any of this is happening!" We kiss again, for what is longer than publically acceptable but I don't care. I'm just so giddy. "Hey can you grab my stuff out of the back so we can leave?"

                "Sure thing," He says and begins walking away. I just finished wiping down the tables when I hear a crash from the back room – followed by gun shots.

                ...

                "Hey can you grab my stuff out of the back so we can leave?" She asks in that way that's more of a command than a question.

                "Sure thing," I say and hopefully head into the right direction. Does she mean the kitchen? I guess because it is the only other room in this place. I try to rub away the headache that's coming on. I didn't really get the job, but to fair – I never went to the interview. I never even applied. I figured I would just go out and hunt during the day while Addison thought I was at work and then pay myself through credit card fraud.

Vampire nest a couple states over? Business trip.

No signs of anything freaky as all hell? Vacation day.