Chapter 28- Enlightenment

The Internet: a Double-Edged Sword

By Richard Faulkerson, reporter

with Marco Mendiola, senior reporter for Science and Technology

I read the article with nervousness and enthusiasm. Similar to my article, he discussed corporate crimes attributed to hacking. But there ends our articles' parallelisms as he went further to discuss the dangerous anonymity that the internet can bring. According to the article, their source has not only experienced paid hacking, he has even waded through the dark web to obtain illegal substances.

"Hacking in itself has become an industry," says our source. But hacking is just one issue that has resulted from anonymous internet activity. Anonymity has likewise given rise to the dark web.

It is estimated that there are over a billion websites all throughout the world but all these lay on the surface. In reality, the internet is a vast domain where majority of its content are not indexed and therefore, not easily searchable by standard search engines and common browsers.

Called the dark web, this virtual underground place can be accessed anonymously and without a trace via the same tools and skills used for hacking. Here lies the appeal of the dark web: with its encrypted network, it has become a market place where illegal and illicit products and services exist. Adding to its growing influence is the use of bitcoins for trading- the currency that in its nature, is also untraceable.

On the flip side, the dark net has its uses. It can become a venue to report crimes anonymously and is a way for law enforcers to investigate wrongdoings and catch criminals.

The challenge for law makers and industry specialists however, is to regulate its use. And as such, if this virtual place should even exist at all.

I have heard of the deep web and dark web before but I've never bothered to know more about it. RJ's work is in a similar vein to my article except that it's broader and more comprehensive. I like this article. I even like it more than mine.

It's fresh, it's enlightening, and it dared to explore a topic that has not yet been featured extensively in Philippine newspapers.

RJ and his contributing partner did well in bringing this topic to light to mainstream audiences. Good job, RJ. Good job.

~~~~~

I had just taken a shower and was already in bed when I heard a soft knock on my door. "Come in."

"Ate. I thought you've left."

"I couldn't leave without talking to you one-on-one first. You're different tonight. I understand you might be tired but I don't know... I expected you to be more animated during dinner, especially with your barkada around."

"I AM tired. Hindi biro yung coverage na ginawa namin. The Summit sessions would last the whole day and at the end of it, we'd be under time pressure to come up with several articles. And I'm hormonal too."

"Ok. I'll leave it at that. I just want you to know that I'm proud of you. I know in my heart that you'll go far in your chosen field of work," my sister said sincerely.

"Thank you, Ate." I want to ask her a question so I continued looking at her. She sensed this, so instead of ending the conversation, she continued looking at me too.

I've never opened up about my love life to any of my family members, especially about my ex-boyfriend. It happened when I was still a student and since my parents were strict, I didn't know how they would react. My two siblings both introduced their significant others after graduating. But now that I've joined the work force too, I suppose it is okay to open up a little.

With my sister, we have never talked about anything too intimate. Sure, we'd shop together and catch some movies in the cinema. But we've never talked about relationships; I have my friends for such conversations. Although, my relationship with Ate Nikki has become more meaningful since her son was born. Still, I never ask her about her marriage. It seemed taboo to me- you know what it's like when you idolize your sister and in your mind, she can do no wrong? I'm that way with my siblings; I've held them on a pedestal. But now that we are all adults, I think I could ask Ate Nikki for advice.

"Ate, when you and Kuya John fight, how do you iron it out?"

"We take a time-out to ease our emotions because ego tends to takeover. Especially with us women, we can be overly dramatic sometimes." I laughed at this. Ate Nikki smiled too.

"When we're angry, it can be difficult to think clearly, so we distance ourselves from the situation first. And from each other. When we've cooled down, we listen and try to understand what each other says. Then, we find a way for both of us to win."

The last statement got me curious. "Anu ibig sabihin nun?"

"We look for a solution where both our needs will be satisfied. Sometimes, compromising can work. But other times, it can only be a temporary solution, like a Band-Aid. It depends on the specific situation, I guess."

"Remember that when you argue, you focus on resolving the issue rather than on winning the dispute. Because words hurt, contrary to the saying."

I recalled the saying by reciting it. "Sticks and stones may break my bones..."

... but words will never hurt me." We finished it together.

"Thank you, Ate. I'll keep those in mind." I expressed my gratefulness without saying anything more.

"Menggay, when you are ready to share more, you know that you can always talk to me right?"

"Of course, Ate." I flashed her a big smile. I love how she is allowing me to only share what I am ready to share. She is offering me a listening ear and a shoulder to lean on... without prying too much... without judging too much.

Illustration from the explode website