Come Closer

"So this is like an actual concert??"

I nod to Tina as an underclassman hands us what look to be programs. Softly I whisper back as I follow Blaine down the aisle, to a row of seats directly in front of the stage. "Apparently.  Sebby said they planned all these amazing things, his words not mine."

I thumb through the program as I take my seat next to Blaine.  On his other side is Kurt.  Rachel eases into the open seat on my other side with a smile.  The rest of our friends are seated somewhere behind us, although Finn is on her other side.  Rachel looks through the program with me and I am stunned.  "Rach, it looks like they're all singing.  All of them.  Each and every senior has a song of their own. Even some mashups, plus songs to showcase the underclassmen. This is going to be insane."

She hums to herself as she looks over my shoulder. Commenting on some selections she particularly agrees with. We continue to flip through the program until I see something that causes me slight alarm.

I gasp.

"Belle, are you okay?? You're looking awfully pale right now."

I turn to face Blaine as he reaches out to comfortingly run his finger across my cheek. Biting my lip, I flip through his program to show him. Stopping at the page in question I point to a particular line, a certain song selection and then look up at him. I can see his hazel eyes skimming the words and then his jaw goes slack as well.

That's some song choice.... beautiful song, but honestly, in front of everyone....  he's just looking to get punched again, isn't he?  Wow, just wow.

Rachel and Kurt both seemed so confused by our reactions.

"Guys,we don't understand?"

"Shann, what's so wrong with that song? I've never even heard of it. What does it matter if Hunter is singing it or not?"

Blaine and I share a glance as we both pull our phones out, silently connecting our headphones to them in unison. Our carefully cultivated cousin-twin powers coming into play at just the right time. I scroll through my music, finding the song in question and hand my phone to Rachel. She looks at me quizzically. "Just listen, you'll understand." She nods, putting the earphones on as I hit play on the song.

Blaine does the same thing with Kurt and we just wait as they listen.

Kurt taps his fingers on his armrest in time to the music, I guess he's trying to process what he is hearing. Rachel on the other hand, is listening with her eyes closed. She must be trying to tune out everything but the song, contemplating the lyrics. And then her eyes fly open, mouth forming a surprised "ooh" shape.

I realize then, when her gaze meets mine that she gets it.  I'm softly humming the song to myself as she continues to listen. 

I do love this song, don't get me wrong here.  But really....  I'm not sure that this would be the time or the place for him to sing it, maybe if we were alone....  It truly would make the most romantic, private serenade song to be sure.  But in front of everyone?  Peoples parents.  His fellow Warblers.  Sebastian...

This is not going to be good.  And I don't know if I can honestly keep my composure once the time comes for his solo performance.  I really don't.

Rachel removes the headphones from her ears and hands me back my cellphone, with a shake of her head. Moments later Kurt hands Blaine back his phone as well. "Pretty song you guys. Ed Sheeran is a brilliant lyricist. But I still don't see why the alarm." Blaine and I look at him incredulously, how does this boy not understand?

Rachel peers around my shoulder to address Kurt herself, hissing out softly. "Kurt, he's singing her a love song. In front of everyone. The dancing references. The fact the the lyrics mention meeting an angel in person..."