No Promises or Demands

"Shay-baby, I'm leaving soon, you know that. We can't keep doing this to ourselves. You'll be here and I'll be in Florida. At least until July. You know this isn't going to work out for us. Not the way we want it to."

I'm desperately trying to will my tears away as his thumb rubs gently across my cheekbone.  My voice so soft I barely register that I'm saying the words aloud.  But he hears me because his eyes go wide at them.

You're breaking up with me aren't you??  But California........

He shakes his head with conviction.

"Baby, no. I'd never.... not unless you expressly made me, wanted me to. You're completely misunderstanding me now. I love you, you're mine. The one person I know I cannot live without having in my life. Remeeting you this year just solidified all of this for me. And my dear Faccia D'angelo, I know in my heart that I'm yours as well."

I'm biting my lip as I move my arms from his shoulders, stepping back some as I move his hand off my face.  Lacing our fingers together.  His other hand still on my waist.

"Shann??  Am I reading this all wrong again?"

I'm shaking my head as I mull over his words. Murmuring to myself.

Faccia D'angelo.

A quick glance over my shoulder, back towards the open door that just moments ago Blaine and Sebastian walked through. And then I register my gaze back on Hunter. He looks so nervous right now. I can't help the smile as it creeps up my face. Or my raised eyebrow.

"Faccia D'angelo... Clarington, since when do you speak Italian??"

Hunter laughs softly as he uses our interlaced hands to spin me around quickly, pulling me closer to him once again. Murmuring softly into my hair as he sways us back and forth to the music filtering into the hallway.  "I'm full of surprises Anderson.  And I thought you'd appreciate the sentiment, Angel Face. But since you asked... In addition to English, I'm basically fluent in Italian, Spanish, German, Dutch and French. Perks of being a military brat.  I just don't flaunt it like someone else we both know."

I giggle as I use my free hand to push him back gently. He pouts as I move us both over towards the stairs, sitting down on one about three up from the bottom. Pulling him down to sit beside me as well.

"Hunt, don't pick. We both know that Bas can't help the fact that he's Parisian. His mom still has quite the heavy accent and everything."

I can hear him huffing out a sigh as he lets go of my hand, instead putting his arm over my shoulders and pulling me to sit closer to him. Resting my head on his shoulder. "Yea. About that. My mom mentioned you introducing her to a woman with green eyes and a French accent. Someone named Madeleine who referred to you as notre cherie Shannon. You introduced our mothers didn't you? Mine and Smythe's."

Oh crap.  I knew that would come back to haunt me.  My cheeks warm up and I am instantly hiding my head in my hands.  Muttering out a barely spoken answer.

"Please don't make me relive that.  It was soooooo damn awkward.  Especially since Jeff and Nick's mothers were both there too.  And your cousin."  I roll my eyes as I raise my head from my hands and turn my upper body to face him.

I could seriously hit Hunter right now for looking so darn amused.

Is he really trying not to laugh??

I'm exasperated.

"Hunter James Clarington?!  It's not funny!!  We were so close to those adults finding out all about our sick, twisted little triangle.  I just wanted to floor to open up and swallow me whole."

He scoots ever so slightly closer, pressing a gentle kiss to my forehead. Pulling back to look deep in my eyes again. "I can imagine Shann. But come on, this is so horrible that it's funny. You have to admit that."

I sigh, resting my head on his shoulder once again. "You're right you know. About that. And about what you said earlier." I can hear Hunter sighing softly as he moves his arm lower, to wrap around my waist instead. As he rests his cheek on the top of my head. "Okay. What about earlier, Angel?"

I nod as best as I can without jostling him from his position as my eyes stay firmly affixed on the party going on in the room across from us. Gesturing slightly to help emphasize my point. "You were right, Romeo. About all of it. I told you then, in that room, that I need you more than I should. You help hold me together at the seams as my world falls apart around me. When I should go to Seb about stuff, I end up with you instead. Because, well I suppose, you're my person as much as I'm yours."

He sighs, fingertips digging into my side as he pulls me flush against him.  Both of us still staring straight ahead.  Voice soft.  "Yet you're engaged to Sebastian.  You plan on marrying him.  I'm leaving in two days for home.  And you'll be with him all summer long.  Do you understand it now, Angel?  Why it won't work...."

My voice is just as soft when I respond.  "It'll work, Hunt.  Just don't forget about me or fall in love with any of those Florida girls."

I'd never forget you, Shannon.

I sigh as I move out of his grasp and stand up. Pulling him to his feet as well. "Enough angst, you're far too adorable to look so sad right now." That finally shakes him out of it, face breaking out in a sly grin. "So you think I'm adorable?"

I shake my head, dropping his hand and start to walk back towards the Warbler room. Back to the party, to Sebastian. "Oh don't be modest Clarington. You know you're gorgeous. Have lunch with me tomorrow??" He catches up to me just as I cross the threshold of the room. Pressing a quick kiss to my temple and whispering in my ear.

You're on Beautiful. Meet me at 11, hallway outside my room.

And then he melts back into the crowd leaving me blushing as I head back to Sebastian.

**Instagram Post**

PghShann: When your favorite diner has a carnival set up in the parking lot you just have to memorialize the cutest puppy on the carousel @hjclarington #goodbyedate #dontforgetme #whyareyouleavingme #byebyelove #fallcantgetherefastenough #seeyouinLA

hjclarington: I'll miss you too Baby @PghShann #dontforgetme #byebyelove #fallcantgetherefastenough #seeyouinLA