Waiting on Superman

"I'm sorry.  I was rambling.  But as I was saying.  Constance Clarington, this is Madeleine Smythe, Sebastian's mother.  Maddie, Constance is Hunter's mother."

Constance nods as she extends her hand in greeting.  "Pleasure."

"Enchanté Madame Clarington."

This is awkward.

This is really, really awkward.

The two women shake hands in greeting.

"And how do you know notre chère Shannon, Mrs Clarington?"

The taller blonde girl, Hunter's cousin Lina, hovers cautiously nearby as her aunt formulates a response to Madeleine Smythe's inquiry.

Frankly I'm just terrified as to what she will say.

Her face lights up in a smile as she responds. "Please call me Connie. My husband and I, we were formally introduced to her yesterday after the graduation ceremony. You see, Miss Anderson and my son Hunter are...."

"Ballroom partners. Hunter and I are ballroom dance partners."

I hurriedly interrupt the blonde woman.  Lina is trying desperately not to laugh as her aunt looks at me slightly confused.

"C'est merveilleux.  I didn't know you danced, ma cherie."

Before I can respond properly another voice chimes in.

Female but younger.

Lina.

Taunting.

Dripping with saccharine sweetness.

"I remember you being an amazing dancer Shannon.  Granted I haven't seen you do so in what, 4 years now? But Hunter has all these wonderful things to say about you and your technique lately.  I am still amazed that you've managed to reconnect with each other after all these years.  Shannon and her former partner Gabriel used to compete against Hunter and I when we were younger.  It's honestly quite adorable. I have pictures somewhere. Starting when you were what, ten?  Right Shannon??"

I nod narrowing my eyes at her, completely floored that she is calling me out like this in front of everyone.  All I can do is murmur back softly, "I met him when I was 10....."

That's just adorable.

I finally tear my eyes away from the two blonde women in front of me, turning around to glance back at the cocktail table where my friends and Sebastian, Nick and Jeff's mothers are gathered around.  Nick's mother Gretchen is nudging Jeff's mother Penelope, who is standing at her side.  She repeats her previous statement once she notices that she's been caught.

"I was just saying that it is adorable that your childhood friend ended up going to school with our boys.  And that you moved here as well, dear sweet child."

I can't fathom doing much more than nodding in response, I'm pretty sure any words or tone of voice I would have at this very moment would betray me.  Rachel looks at me with pity in her eyes as Puck places a drink in my hands and Kurt pushes a small plate of cookies across the table to me.  I send a questioning look to Blaine, I have no clue what is in this cup Puck gave me.  He mouths over Sprite and I take a small sip.

I set the cup back on the table and pick up what appears to be a pecan tassie.  Blaine must have been highly instrumental in choosing these treats for us, only he would know that these were my favorites that Nana would make when we were little.  I send him a small smile across the table which he is quick to return.  Just then I hear Jeff's mother piping up.