Chapter 6

Lilypetal's POV

"Ashfur," I growled as the gray tom emerged from the bushes.

"Lilypetal."

I couldn't help but flinch slightly as I watched Ashfur slowly slide his claws out and begin to sink them into the earth, his expression not giving away one single thing.

It stayed that way for several heartbeats - me standing in front of Thornclaw, staring back at Ashfur.

I narrowed my eyes as I realized that the tom wasn't making any sort of advances. Is there a possibility that Thornclaw and I may be able to send Ashfur out peacefully? I wondered. Maybe this doesn't have to be dangerous.

Continuing to shield Thornclaw, I decided to put out the first word. "I don't know if you were confused or lost," I muttered sarcastically to Ashfur, my eyes still narrowed, "But this is ThunderClan territory. Firestar sent you away, remember?"

My stomach twisted up into a knot as I saw something flash in Ashfur's eyes. He then murmured, his eyes beginning to glitter with indignation, "Oh, I remember."

"Then why are you here?" Thornclaw hissed, padding up from behind me to flank me. "Get out. You've been lingering around here for far too long already."

Ashfur completely ignored Thornclaw's words, his gaze not shifting from where I stood. "I remember Firestar sending me away very well, Lilypetal," Ashfur growled, beginning to pace from side to side. "How could I forget?"

"Well, you've obviously forgotten what it means to be exiled!" I barked back, my fur beginning to bristle.

Unfortunately, I hadn't thought before I spat those words, not realizing that they would probably send Ashfur over the edge. And sure enough, I let out a fearful screech as Ashfur hissed and leaped at me without hesitation.

Well, I guess settling this peacefully is out of the question, I thought as Ashfur bowled me over and pinned me down to the ground. I hissed in pain as the tom raked his claws down my flank.

And now, I've said many times in combat before that it was the most unbearable thing I had ever felt, but, as Twolegs say, this one definitely took the cake.

As I attempted to claw at the gray tom's muzzle, it was then that I realized that this was the first fight that I had ever been in that wasn't with a warrior. So far, I had fought Squirrelflight when I first trespassed on ThunderClan territory, in battle training, and in the eclipse battle between all of the Clans. All of these cats I had fought were bound by the warrior code, which states that warriors don't fight to kill.

But Ashfur was not a warrior anymore. Ashfur was now an exile, and an exile with a grudge.

This cat wasn't going to show me any mercy.

Not only was I going to fight to defend any sort of honor, but I was fighting to survive.

This realization caused a rush of adrenaline to surge through me, and with it I was able to kick Ashfur off of me with my hind paws. Immediately once Ashfur was off of my belly, I jumped back up, ready to leap onto him.

Although the blood was practically roaring in my ears, I could just barely hear Thornclaw yowling my name. As I pelted back towards Ashfur, I tried to whip my head around to see where my mate was, but he wasn't anywhere in my sight. It was only by his yowls that I knew that he was close by.

What in the name of StarClan is he doing? I thought irritably. I'd think he'd have leaped into this fight to help me by now!

As concerned as I was for my mate, I had to push the anger away, knowing quite well that I couldn't take even one moment to think.