Chapter 8

Goldenkit's POV

"Goldenkit! Wake up!" I could feel a paw prodding my back as Snowkit's voice rang in my ears. "Wake up! Wake up!"

I'll wake up to claw your ears off! I thought irritably as I opened my eyes. I immediately screwed my eyes back shut as I saw that Snowkit was flicking her tail in my face. I swiped her tail away with my paws to see that outside it wasn't even sunhigh yet. It was barely passed dawn!

"Snowkit, it's early!" I whined. I pushed her tail away as she continued to wave it in my face. My eyes widened and I couldn't help but flinch as Snowkit suddenly squealed. She has never been this energetic! Did she get too much sleep? I wondered.

I purred with amusement as I stood up, watching as my sister began to run around me and hop up and down.

"We're becoming apprentices today, Goldenkit!" She squeaked. "Get with it!"

I gasped as I realized that Snowkit was right. I had almost completely forgotten!

Snowkit and I aren't just little kits in the nursery anymore! I thought excitedly. We're now training to become warriors!

Squealing just as Snowkit had, I grabbed my sister's tail with my tail and pulled her out of the den as quickly as I could. "Let's go!" I urged her.

Snowkit and I padded out into the clearing to see that Lilypetal was already sitting down with Thornclaw next to her. Just by watching the two of them for a couple of heartbeats, I could tell that they were just as excited as Snowkit and I were. I felt a purr rumble in my throat as I saw that my father's eyes were glowing with pride.

Thornclaw is an amazing warrior. He is well-respected in this Clan, and he's done so much for ThunderClan, I thought excitedly. What if he were to mentor me? That would be great!

I then shook my head quickly as I tried to push down my disappointment. But leaders don't usually put apprentices with their kin, I realized. But I'm sure that whoever I get will be just as great!

Now feeling just as optimistic as I did before, I padded up to my parents, Snowkit right behind me. "Hi!" I exclaimed, hopping up and down.

Both Thornclaw and Lilypetal turned their heads around to look at us.

"Hello there!" Thornclaw purred, touching his nose to each of our heads. "How are you two this fine, completely ordinary and uneventful morning?"

I stopped hopping as I was suddenly confused. I exchanged a glance with Snowkit, my one of my eyebrows raised before looking back at my father. "What do you mean?" I asked.

Thornclaw then let out a purr of amusement. "Well, it would be an ordinary and uneventful morning if my two kits weren't becoming apprentices today!"

Snowkit let out a mrrow of laughter beside me. "Oh, of course!" She squealed, kneading her paws into the ground.

"Hm. Don't mind your father," Lilypetal purred, nudging Thornclaw on the shoulder. "He can be quite the tease."

I began hopping up and down once again. "I don't care! He can tease all he wants!" I insisted. "I'm going to be an apprentice, I can handle the teasing!"

Lilypetal then let out a purr before bending down to nuzzle Snowkit and I on our heads with her muzzle. "I am so proud of you both," she meowed softly. "I have no doubt that you are going to train to the best of your ability."

Of course I am! I said to myself. Why would I not do my best, knowing that being a warrior is the end result?

As I began to drift off into my warrior fantasies, I flinched and let out a small yelp as I suddenly felt a tongue lapping at my flank. I whipped my head around to see that Lilypetal was grooming me.