Chapter 12

"Dove's Pelt you're doing great." Rue meowed proudly. Light Mist was beside her. Running Fern was outside the den. The gray she-cat wailed out. Her sister stared in shock and amazement at the same time. "It's a tom!" Gasped Light Mist. "D-Dove's Pelt," the she-cat was stopped before she could speak. Pigeon Talon raised her tail. "You can be amazed later. That's just only the first two kits." She told the she-cat. Dove's Pelt suddenly saw another kit beside her as a the pained look on her face faded. Pigeon Talon took the kit. "Here Prentice lick." She ordered.
"Of course." He meowed and the pale gray she-cat began to lick the second kit.
"One more Dove's Pelt. You're doing excellent." Rue purred in delight and exhaustion.
"I... don't... feel like it..." the blue eyed she-cat panted and the last kit slithered out. "Two she-kits!" Pigeon Talon announced.
"Two she-kits and two toms!" Prentice put in. "Let me see them." Dove's Pelt mewed. The three she-cats nudged the kits over to her belly. "Running Fern, you can come in now." Light Mist's mew was strangely happy. Wolf Fur blinked. Was that was what having kits was like? He thought to himself.
The gray and white tom slithered into the large den. Wolf Fur peeked in. They looked so small compared to Curly Branch and her brothers, Wren as well. "Wow.. they're... they're so little.." he mewed softly.
"Are they healthy? What do they look like?" Running Fern looked down beside her belly. Three small kits were curled up mewling beside her. A small gray she-kit, a gray and white she-kit, a gray tom with black ears, and a white tom with black paws.
"They're amazing.." he breathed his eyes softening.
"Alright let's leave her alone to rest all of you. I was lucky to get the herbs needed before the snow stuck to the ground." Piegon Talon meowed exiting the den.
Running Fern nuzzled his kits. "I'll see you soon my kits, your father will go and get your mother some fresh water." His voice was husky with emotion as he vanished through the snowy brambles.

Wolf Fur licked between his paws. "Ah, done grooming." He meowed. Violet Leaf entered the camp with Little Ear's border patrol. The young cat walked over the prey heap and got a mouse between his jaws. He was going to give it to her. Walking over, he set the piece of prey in front of her just as she stopped walking. "I took first pick off they prey heap for you," he meowed kindly. "I thought you might be hungry." The black and white cat smiled at her as she smiled back. "Thank you Wolf Fur." The black and ginger she-cat purred.
Viper Strike came in the camp as well. "We sighted Pinecone and a few of his mangey rogues. Other than that, the patrol went well." She meowed.
"Why don't they just go away?" Gray Sky growled. Deer Snout touched her tail to his shoulder. "They're only nothing but a nuisance." She pointed out. Leaping Breeze stood beside her. "She's right. We have bigger things to worry about." The Turkish Van she-cat agreed.
Grass Shadow looked to Little Ear. "Well?" She mewed, waiting for him to reply.
"We lost Fish Scar to the wolves. And Thistle Tail to Pincone and his band of cats,"
"We flay them! No one kills my leader, my brother without answering to me!" Sage Pelt yowled put in rage.
"Yeah! They murdered out leader! We deserve our revenge!" Night Wing called up shooting to his paws.
"The wolves need to be taught a lesson too!" Gray Sky yowled. "No matter what that spirit said!"
"But didn't it tell you that death comes of fighting?" Rue mewed.
"I need a discussion with my eldest cats about this. Return to your dens." Little Ear meowed. Night Wing pressed close to Sage Pelt, their tails fading into the darkness of the den. Wolf Fur entered the den his sister and Violet Leaf shared with the kits. "I still think if there were more of us we could beat them." He mewed silently almost to himself aloud.
"And I still think that we aren't strong enough yet." Viper Strike meowed as she appeared by his side, her ginger tabby tail flicking. Eagle's Speck licked Hawk Cry's head. "Alright now time to go to sleep it's Moonhigh in you go." The tortoiseshell she-cat purred and padded away.
"I'll keep watch outside with Gorse Feather for you." Came Speckle Leap's determined mew. "Thank you." The ticked tabby tom meowed. "Where's Thresh and Silver Leaf?" Violet Leaf asked. "They told me he was doing one last look around the boundaries with Silver Leaf," Just before Wolf Fur could finish, Silver Leaf and the black tom ran into the camp. "We were chased by rogues!" The silver tabby tom gasped panting. "The wolves managed to scare them away.."
"You should get your sleep. Go on you two." Rue told the two toms as the rest of the cats crowded around wanting to know more about what happened to them.