Chapter 14

The cold air of leaf-bare blew through the forest sending a chill. Grass Shadow was leading a patrol. She looked around the snowy forest. Looking behind her to the cats of her patrol, she saw Leaping Breeze standing tall, her eyes checking for any enemies. Sage Pelt, checking her claws for sharpness every now and then. Viper Strike was looking keen beside Ginger Foot for any hostile rogue cats. "Where's your brother?" She asked the ginger tabby she-cat. Viper Strike whirled around to see her brother clawing at the bark of a pine tree. The black she-cat looked at him as well as the other cats. "Wolf Fur? What are you doing?" She asked him. The tom turned to her. "I'm marking our territory. That way rogues know our group has made claim here." He lifted his chin proudly. Viper Strike slowly blinked. "That does sound like a good idea." She looked to the older she-cat. Dapple Spots shivered. "It's... so cold! My ears are freezing because of this wind!" He meowed. Gray Sky rolled his amber eyes. "Just alert everything in the forest why don't you?" He muttered, pinning his ears behind his head. "Come on, we need to make sure no wolves are near here." The she-cat meowed and lead the way deeper into the forest. The forest was eerily quiet besides the cats walking about. Suddenly, a squak from a bird rang followed by a jarring boom. "Boom-stick!" Magnolia yowled. Grass Shadow raised her tail. "Quick! Climb!" She ordered and they all dashed for separate trees. A fuzzy Twoleg walked over and met with a flayed wolf. Wolf Fur stared through horror filled eyes. Twolegs are monsters! He screeched inside his head. The Twoleg picked up the mighty beast along with two others who helped it and faded away as they walked further and further, their huge shapes growing smaller and smaller. "I think it's clear." The black she-cat murmured.
"Either you think or know! No way are we coming down!" Dapple Spots meowed worriedly.
"One less of those beats roaming around." Gray Sky chimed in, his voice low and quiet. Wolf Fur blinked and slowly made his way down the trunk of the tree. He climbed down until his paws met the snow. The others followed suit and looked at each other with caution and nervousness. Grass Shadow pointed her muzzle in the direction of the camp. "We need to get back to camp. Before one of us is next." She meowed and lead the way back. Ginger Foot pressed close to Viper Strike, their pelts brushing. Wolf Fur followed behind Dapple Spots, bringing up the rear. He curled his tail and stayed silent. A mingle of howls sounded in the distance. It was a pack of wolves howling at the moon. Sage Pelt trotted faster. Leaping Breeze looked around, her eyes wide and alert. Grass Shadow picked up her pace along with her campmates as the howls began to die down when they reached the camp. Little Ear bounded down the rock. "We heard the boom-stick." He meowed. The others crowded around them. "Just Twolegs." Grass Shadow told him. "It's almost Moonhigh," The ticked tabby tom stared up at the sky. "Come on.. rest." He ordered, flicking his tail to the main den. "Rest? How can we?" Light Mist made her way through the crowd. "With Twolegs, wolves, and rogues.. this forest is a curse!"
"Light Mist that's enough." Little Ear was struggling to stay calm. The gray she-cat looked down at her paws. She made her way through the crowd and to the den where the older cats slept.
"All of you. Go to your dens." The group leader meowed and walked to his den without another word as the other cats slowly made their way to their nests, whispering to each other in hushed voices about the rogues. The wolves and how the weather was becoming too much. Wolf Fur shook his long black pelt and hunkered down into his nest with a yawn.