Chapter 44

5 years.
8 months.

It had been 5 years and 8 months since the event occured, since the dreadful monster had cast his evil shadow on the family.
5 years and 8 months since she left me.

I walked around the hall slowly, briefly pausing to look at the photos on the table. There was this photo of me and her, smiling, the huge 'welcome to central park' board behind us. I smiled, remembering how she had ridiculed my goofy grin in the picture and how we had fought afterwards.

Heck, I still missed her. She was the only person who understood me, understood who I truly was. And maybe, just maybe, she would've been alive today, if she had listened to me.

"Harry?" I hear a faint voice as I turn back to face her, leaning languidly against the side of the wall, a small smile on her face.

"Mmh?" I say, acknowledging her presence and returning back to my previous actions.

"Thank you" she says, her voice barely above a whisper. "For flying in tonight"

I simply nod, not wanting to turn back and face her. Knowing her to be the emotional type, she would probably start crying again if I said something. But to my surprise, she walks towards the couch on my right, taking a seat as I still stare at the photographs.

"That was when you were 10" she said, sniffing a bit. "She was 13"

"I know" I snap. I didnt want to be that rude, but something still made me angry towards her.

"Harry" she says, her voice laced with comfort. "I know what you're thinking but-"

"No" I said, not wanting to hear it. I knew exactly what she would say, probably she'll even try to get me forgive him, like she did.
But not today.

I could hear her deeply sigh as I stood in front of the window, staring out at the small garden in front of me. Gardening was gemma's favourite hobby. I smiled as I remembered the nights we used to come out here, sitting in the cool breeze, or the countless days where she used to sit in the garden in the evening, writing in that damn journal of hers. I tried to supress the small grin from spreading on my face as I remembered the few smacks I had received while trying to read her damn journal.

I was pulled away from my thoughts as I heard her speak. "I didn't forgive him, Harry. I never have and I never will"

Almost immediately, I turned to face her, mouth agape in surprise. She hadn't forgiven him?

"I know you probably think I've forgiven him, left everything behind and moved on, but I haven't Harry, I haven't" she says, eyes turned a red color as unshed tears threatened to spill out. "I know he brought nothing but destruction to our family, but-"

"But what?" I interrupted, still irritated at the fact that was trying to convince me.