Nine.

He didn't know where we were going, but I wanted to take him to pick up the ice cream then go to the lake. I wanted to get his mind off of things.

We pull up to the parlor and he looks at me and shyly smiles.

"My dad used to take me here when I was little. Every time something good or bad happened, we were here." He smiles and reminisces and then his smile turns to a frown and from that frown, tears stream down his slightly swollen face.

"What's your favorite flavor?" I ask, in a meek voice.

"The vanilla ice cream here is the best." He looks down to his feet.

I smile at him and kiss his wet cheek, "I'll be right back." I open the car door and step out, closing the door before walking into the shop.

Every one was so sweet while I ordered. It made me feel welcome. I ordered two huge bowls of vanilla ice cream and walked back to the car.

When I handed Matt the ice cream, his face lit up before becoming dull again.

I backed up and began driving to the lake. We got there and as it was last time, not a single person was in sight. And the dock we sat upon the last time was empty.

With one hand holding my ice cream and the other hand holding his hand, we walked to the dock. The both of us sat down and put our feet in the water.

We sat, eating ice cream in silence except for the occasional sniffle.

The silence was broken when Matt quietly whispered, "Thank you." He put his head on my shoulder. I leaned my head against his as in to say, "You're welcome."

Throughout the next two hours Matt shared his father-son memories.

My mom kept checking in on us, asking about Matt. His family members didn't call or text at all. They must all be in shock. He said he didn't really care. He didn't want to talk to them and listen to them say how much of a good person he was and how he is in a better place.

"It's bullshit. They won't care three weeks from now. They'll forget."

He was so broken. I wanted to mend him. I wanted to mend this irresistible being.

hey guys. finally an update lol. trust me, this shit is about to get good.