Chapter 16: "As the World Turns"

[5:30 PM, Monday]

"Well. This is it." Rei whispered, sipping a glass of tea.

".. Yeah.." Tsuki sighed. "The night before she arrives." She said, looking out of Ring's apartment window, the rain falling down as the clouds grew darker in the distance.

"Don't worry." Mami said, trying to lighten the thick air in the room. "We're going to be fine. Kyouko Sakura has allowed us access to her stash of grief seeds, and I know Ring has one too, yes?"

"I do." Ring said, sipping a glass of hot chocolate. "We're fully prepared and ready to take down whatever this witch has to offer." She said.

"Or so you think." Homura said, as she came down the hallway. "I've seen this witch for myself. She's powerful.. Way too powerful for any of us to comprehend." She said, before laying down a map upon Mami's glass table.

"What's that?" Iroha grunted, setting down her pastry before looking at the map.

"Walpurgisnacht will come up through Southern Mitakihara first. That's where I want Rei, Ring, Tsuki, and Iroha stationed." She said. "You four won't be able to kill her, but I know that you four will be able to weaken her enough for the magical girls in Northern Mitakihara to give the finishing blow. Me, Mami, Kyouko, and Sayaka will be up there."

"Wait- You're basically asking us to get ourselves killed!" Tsuki grunted, standing up, holding Rei tightly.

"No. I'm not. Before you get yourselves killed, I want you to find a way to get out of there. Fight her for as long as you can, but as soon as you feel you aren't able to exert any more magic. Run." Homura said.

".. That's way too risky.." Iroha said, leaning forward. "Surely there's a more safer way to do this."

"When it comes to Walpurgisnacht, there is no safety." Homura said, setting down another piece of paper on the table. It was Walpugisnacht, standing rightside up. "We cannot let Walpurgisnacht reach this phase.. I've seen it happen only once, and she completely leveled all three cities in one dash." Homura said, shivering almost.

The girls froze.

"... You're saying.. Even if we try our hardest.. The girls in the north will fail.. And everything will be destroyed?.." Rei whispered.

Homura slowly nodded.

"This is the grim reality of the situation in our hands, but since the ball is in our playing field, we're able to plan more accordingly." Homura said, as she stood up. "There is another magical girl in this city with just as much knowledge on Walpurgisnacht as me, if not more. I am going on an immediate trip to find her, and bring her here. Her help will be greatly needed."

"Who is this girl? Will you be able to bring her back in time?" Rei asked.

"Yes, I will. Her name is Aria." Homura said.

...

[Special thanks to Cakestories for the creation of Manami, to Hisoko for the creation of Gin, to RealisticPop for the creation of Sanae and Aria.]

[8:30 PM, Monday.]

On the outskirts of Mitakihara City was a small cottage next to a large, crystal blue lake. Homura and Rei approached it with caution. The cabin itself was quite small, perfect for one person. However, as soon as Homura and Rei stepped closer to it, they entered another plane of existence. The once small and homely cabin soon turned into a two-story house, with gorgeous, decorative gemstones lining the sidewalk leading up to the structure.