Chapter 18: "Finale: Resolve"

Rei opened her eyes, to find herself drifting aimlessly in space.

"What's going on?.. Where am I? Asa?" Rei spun around.

"The universe is in the process of reordering itself based on Madoka Kaname's new laws."

Kyuubey's voice spoke out.

"Kyuubey.." Rei whispered.

"You are a precognitionist are you not, Rei Asano? You should have been able to see this coming, however... With the amount of karmic destiny that was attached to Madoka, you might also have been blinded by it." Kyuubey began to ponder.

"Tell me what's going on! Where am I? What do you mean the universe is?!-"

"You're currently viewing the multitudes of timelines that Homura Akemi has crossed. Time and time again, she has rewound time endlessly."

Rei stared at the images flashing by. Visions of Ring, and Tsuki... Visions of Asa... Visions of Madoka and Homura... Visions of everyone.

"W.. Where am I in all of this?" Rei blinked.

"That's just it, Rei Asano. This is the first timeline that you have ever transformed into a magical girl. This is the first timeline you became an anomaly." Kyuubey said.

"What are you getting at, Kyuubey?" Rei said, starting to grow irritated.

"I want to know what special event occurred that caused you to make a contract with me, when in all of the other timelines, you didn't even once think about it." Kyuubey said. "Thanks to your power, I can finally understand why you had such little potential, but turned out to be so powerful."

"... No."

"What?"

Rei was glaring now. She had her fists clenched. "I don't care. I don't care what caused me to become a magical girl, it doesn't matter now! I refuse to let you find out about anything like that. I refuse to let you use my power!"

"Are you meaning to tell me that your curiosity doesn't even urge you to try and figure out what makes you so different this go around?"

"Since when did incubators care about satisfying curiosity?" Rei said, bitterly. "I see everything..."

Rei's eyes began to glow. "I can see how you tricked us... How you manipulated us into making contracts with you in order to meet your precious quota!"

"Manipulation? I used no manipulation in my tactics, Rei Asano."

"Yes you did! You came to me at the start when I was dying! The second time I was paralyzed and felt useless!" Rei shouted. "That's preying off of my emotions!"