Chapter 13

Nothing could really prepare you for the cold, irrefutable confirmation - the shock of the moment when all doubts and illusions were snatched away to be replaced by a suffocating and onerous grief. The final day for the dead was the beginning for those left behind. This was when the mourning truly began.

xxxxx

Isla's P.O.V: 

I looked at Ella, standing in the corner looking at all of us. My heart was shattered by seeing her in this state. 

Ella watched silently as the long procession gradually gathered around the graves. It was still raining heavily, it had been raining for most of the day and as people held their umbrellas over each other, she felt they were closing themselves off from her. They were a close, impenetrable group and she was not allowed to be part of them.

 From a distance, hardly feeling the cold or the rain, she held herself as she watched the ceremony. Desperately, she tried to draw some consolation from the priest's words, but she was only reminded of what she had lost. How could words relieve the gnawing shock and disbelief she still felt? How could words ease the emptiness? There could be no persuasive reason or justification for all this. She just wanted those she had lost back again. She wanted things to be the way they had been before.

She lowered her head as the ceremony finished. The mourners passed her as they left. None of them spoke to her and she didn't attempt to speak to any of them. When they all left, she took a step towards the grave. But it was too much. Despite the stark reality before her eyes, she still didn't want to accept the truth. The tears she had tried to suppress, clouded her eyes. Falling to the ground, she began to sob uncontrollably.

I couldn't see her like this anymore, I walked up to her and wrapped my arms around her and took her into my embrace. I held her close and tight. Whispering to her, I pressed my face against hers and rocked her gently, trying to soothe her. As the reality penetrated her consciousness, she began to scream with grief. Holding her even tighter, I drew her away. She didn't resist. She needed peace. Surrendering, she fell back against me; she hid within me as unwanted memories flooded relentlessly into her broken mind.

"It's all over Isla. He's gone. There is no one who will accompany me at home."

Willingly, she lost herself and drifted to sleep.

xxxxxx

Allison's P.O.V: 

I woke up and saw Caroline and Isla sitting next to me. Caroline looked at me and sadly smiled and spoke up."How are you feeling?"

I looked at her and sighed. "I honestly feel dead. I lost someone precious to me. My only family member is now dead." I whispered

Caroline placed her hand on mine and gave it a squeeze. "I know honey, but please don't let this get to you. You are already ill and thinking about it will pressurize you more and will get you sick. Death is something that no one can overcome no matter how many months or years go by, it's one of the biggest thing that wound your heart deeply and no one other than you yourself can heal it. It will take time, yes, but just know that you have all of us with you." She hugged me and kissed my forehead.

Isla sat in front of me and placed her hand on my knees, she grabbed my hand and gave it a squeeze. "Lina is right, don't stress yourself out on this. I am here for you and if you want and if this will make you happy I can shift here and live with you. Just think about this and tell me whenever you are ready, no need to rush it. I pray to the Lord to bless you with the strength to cope up with the loss. I'm here for you during this dark time, and will be here for you when the light begins to shine for you again. Words, however, can't mend your heartache, but those who care for you share your grief and wish you comfort and peace of mind. I cannot take away your pain, but I can listen if you'd like to talk about it - you know I will listen to everything you say. Just let it all out and don't try bottling your emotions in. If crying helps then cry, never think that crying is a sign of a weak one , no it is not. Crying just shows how strong you have been through out these years and if you want to scream then scream as loud as you can, let every emotion out. But if you want to talk you can always come to me, call me or call me over. If you need a shoulder to cry on I will be there. I will always be here for you no matter what the day or timings are. Heck, call me at 3 A.M in the morning and I will be here in no time. I know I ranting a lot and I'm sorry I know these words are inadequate, but I am truly sorry for what you're experiencing right now. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help." My heart clenched and I looked up at her and hugged her.