I Can Feel It Coming

Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.

♥️♥️♥️

Aether's Coven- New Orleans

Guilt has a way of lingering, like a churning in your stomach. The feeling of my stomach dropping to the ground and rolling down the hill, frazzled nerves hopped all together, and in different directions. A fire burned in my mind and heart, when guilt is eating and pestering you, the time loiters like a bum...And even though nothing technically happened between Alcide and me, for a split second I thought about it.

And even though it was only a moment, and I only thought about kissing him, I still felt guilty as hell.

If the shoe was on the other foot and Eric was the one hugging on a beautiful woman and thinking about kissing her, I would be fucking livid. Thinking about the situation made it hard to go on with my day.

Back at the Coven, with my laptop and cell phone, I'm prepping for the big meeting at nightfall. I made my calls sent out my text, then emails, all the while the feelings of what happened a few hours ago just wouldn't dwindle.

"Hey, space cadet, what's got you so distracted?" Sookie chuckled, stepping into the kitchen.

"You're up early," I replied, changing the subject, quickly removing myself from my looming thoughts.

She smiled at me with her signature crooked smile. I smiled back at my lovely friend while clearing my mind the best I could. I felt Sookie's cognizance trying to read my thoughts. She was not being nosy, she cares for me and means no harm by her prying. Luckily, she just isn't powerful enough to dig in my mind, I was able to block her as I've always had. But I better watch it; I know Nora and Naomi can read my thoughts and sense my feelings with no problem at all.

"It's my turn to prepare dinner for the girls," Sookie answered while, mining the cupboards, pulling out pots and pans. "otherwise, you know I'd be tucked away with my snuggly Bill."

"Let me help," I said, closing my laptop. Cooking will keep my idle thoughts occupied until evening.

"Sure, I'm keeping it simple tonight." She said, scooping cornmeal into a mixing bowl. "Ham, white beans and homemade cornbread." She beamed at me and I beamed right back.

She measured her ingredients and at the same time, she wondered why I was not tucked away with Eric as I normally I would be.

Usually, after having breakfast with the Coven I'd fly or teleport back home to Shreveport, but it was already late in the afternoon and I couldn't sleep anyway. I won't be rested tonight and Eric is never happy about that. I just hope he understands and isn't an ass about it.

"Will you dice the ham?" She asked, her mind completely focused on her cooking task.

"Of course," I adore my country girl; Sookie had already soaked the beans the night before and had them slow cooking in the crockpot. The seasoned beans were done, now it's time to add the hame that is needed for that wonderful additional flavor.

I turned on the oven for her and started slicing and dicing the ham into cubes. Sookie was stirring the cornbread mixture the old fashion way.

This activity comes naturally with Sookie and I. We've spent so many days, chatting, venting, laughing. Together we would sort laundry, clean and prepare dinner. We didn't have to hide behind a mask, not of happiness, not of coping, she could be honest and get heartfelt advice. It was the release valve we both needed and though we bore no relation we regarded one another as sisters.