Endings and New Beginnings

When the sun sets on one phase of life, find peace in knowing that new beginnings bring light to the horizon

  ❤❤❤   

TARA POV

The next day I stood outside for a while, my stomach in knots, and I began pacing back and forth on her porch. I'd sent her flowers, this lovely arrangement of fresh white blooms. It was the least I could do. Still, she had every right to blame me. But no matter what, I was going to keep my word. So after about twenty minutes, finally I gathered the courage to knock.

She must have seen me in her newly installed security camera because the door swung open fast like she'd been waiting for me the entire time. Her age-worn eyes were swollen and red from constant streams of tears, her expression impassive, I lowered my eyes, and stepped back in defeat.

"You know Tara; a Goddess never lowers her eyes to her apprentice." Her voice hoarsely cracked.

 My eyes shot up. She's smiling at me. Smiling...at me..! I pulled her into a hug. I can't tell you how grateful I was when she hugged me back.

She invited me in and made us some fresh-squeezed lemonade. We chatted for a while; Cathy is clearly mourning but found comfort in knowing Jessica is with The Elders. I handed her Holly's ancient enchanted emerald, she smiled as she placed the golf-ball-sized gem in the largest gold locket I'd ever seen.

Cathy told me the enchanted emerald was given to Jessica as the dearly beloved Holly lay dying in the yard of the hunter's mansion. The proud mother esteemed her daughter as a brave honorable warrior and I wholeheartedly agree.

I was amazed when she told me Ruby provided the entire Coven a play-by-play of the dark realm tragedy. The moment Lettie, Jess, and Willa's souls were free, my Aunt performed a séance.  Cathy rightfully received her much-needed closure after all.

The Coven purchased beautiful tombstones and placed them next to King Godric's statue at the St. Patrick Cemetery in New Orleans. To some, this act would be pointless, since there are no bodies there and the Coven can visit with them through spirit summoning. But the graves give everyone a place to visit, not just the Coven.

Cathy joked about how my Auntie complained, she said that Jess and Willa got on Ruby's last nerves. She'd said during the séance, the girls constantly disrupted her concentration singing the song 'Moves like Jagger'.

"Neither one of them can carry a tune in a bushel basket." Cathy mocked Ruby Jean's grumble.

When Cathy and I caught up with Ruby later that night, my eccentric aunt didn't even realize she hummed 'Moves like Jagger' all the way to the restaurant.

After our wonderful dinner, I asked Rudy if she would allow me a little more time with Lettie. My aunt agreed without a second thought, she loved chatting with her sister. I asked Ma about Eric. I wanted to know what she thought of him. I wondered if she was put off by him being a vampire. My mom surprised me; she said my vampire is handsome. But what thrilled me most is that she actually approved of him! Most important, unlike Jason or Sam, she could clearly see Eric's love, his devotion, and his joy, for me and only me... And she was spot on with her assessment. 

Eric always made it clear to everyone; no one pleased him as I did. Never had and never would.

  ❤❤❤   

One Month Later...

This morning, as I ate breakfast, my day-walking vampire browsed the Internet for things to do; the first thing he suggested was the Norton Art Gallery and Gardens and the Red River, Louisiana Boardwalk.