Five

Shi was left alone in the room with Yan Da. Sighing, he stood up stretching his arms. He then sat again beside the sleeping fire princess, studying her.

Hmm. She looks really peaceful. Prince Xin Jue removed her cloak so I can see her clearly. She's beautiful. I wonder what happened to her. Why was she so scared? And why is she so attached to me?

*Sigh* Too many questions but no answers.

*Knock* *knock*

"Who is it!?"

"It's me."

Hearing his mother's voice, Shi quickly stood up and open the door.

"Mother! What are you doing here?"

Lotus smiled, entering the room. "To see how you're doing. I was informed about what happened. Are you alright with this Shi if not..."

The boy smiled, taking his mother's hands in his. "It's okay mother. It's not like I have a lot to do anyway. Besides I don't know why but I feel that it's somewhat my fault that Princess Yan Da's like this."

"Your fault?" Lotus asked.

"It's just a feeling but mother what happened while I was gone? I'm surprised that the envoys let them in."

Lotus sighed, sitting down. "The prince said that they are here to greet Ka Suo and congratulate him on his 130th birthday. However, I have the feeling that they came here for trouble. Prince Xin Jue even challenged Ka Suo in a duel. Thankfully, your brother is smart. He won without hurting Prince Xin Jue. So, Shi be careful."

Shi nodded, heeding his mother's advice. Suddenly, the sleeping fire princess let out a pained whimper. Forgetting that his mother is there, Shi was quickly on her side. He swiftly but gently pulled her in his arms whispering comforting words in her ears. When she was calm, he let her use his lap as a pillow.

Shi frowned. His heart clenching in worry. Gently, he wiped the sweat on the fire princess forehead.

"Ying Kong Shi..." she whispered. Shi and Lotus heard it though.

"Shh... I'm here. I'm here, Yan Da." he said. Hearing that, Yan Da smiled. Sleeping peacefully once more.

Lotus kept quiet. Silently, observing her son. Fear, suspicion and worry filled heart. Her son was never comfortable and gentle with others except for her and his brother Ka Suo. She also saw how his eyes soften while looking at the fire princess.

"Shi." She called out, making him look at her.

Shi looked at her in surprise. He then blinked, remembering that she was there.

"Mother?"

"Tell me the truth. Do you like her?"

"W-who?"

"The fire princess on your lap. Do. You. Like. Her?" she repeated.

"N-no. Mother, I just met her and I'm too young for things like that."

Lotus eyes narrowed not believing him. "Feelings are feelings. Whether you're a child or an adult, they're the same. Shi whatever you're feeling for her. Forget it now. You two are from opposite tribes. You'll only get hurt, if those feelings get deeper."

The boy looked down, looking at the sleeping fire princess. Pain filled young heart.

"But mother..."

"Shi, you can't." Lotus said, standing up and hugging his son. "I'm sorry but you can't."

Kissing him on the temple, she stood up again. "I have to go. Remember what I said. "

She then left the room.

Outside...

Lotus let out a pained sigh. I'm sorry, my son. Knowing Huo Yi, he probably has plans already to start another war. If that happens, you two will be on two different sides. So, don't let your feelings for her get deeper."

With Xin Jue...

He's in his room, talking with his father.

"Xin Jue, how did it go?"

"Father, Prince Ka Suo is a smart man. He didn't fall for my taunting and tricks easily."

"Then, think of something else."

Xin Jue nodded but then frowned. "Father, there's something else. It's Yan Da."

"What about your sister?"

"She isn't well. Right now, she's in the other room unconscious."

"What happened? Is it the Ice Tribe?"

Xin Jue shook his head. "No. If it is then your plan will be smoothly executed. The healer said that something traumatic to her before we came here. Father, do you know something about it?"

King Huo Yi frowned. "Traumatic? Last time I saw her she was well and happily training with her whip. Xin Jue, I know that you love your sister so much. However, don't forget the reason why you're in there."

"Yes, father." Xin Jue answered, ending their conversation. He then glared at the spot where the image of his father was.

Father, how greedy are you exactly? That you even ignore Yan Da's well-being.

Yan Da don't worry. I'll see to it that you're really fine before I doing anything. You're my first priority .