Eight

Shi took a step back, doing the stance that Yan Da thought him. One stroke. Move a bit like this. Then, launched the second blow.

"Prince Shi!" a desperate voice then called out, making him stop his practice.

"What's going on?" He asked the out of breath soldier.

"I-it's Princess Yan Da."

Shi quickly left for the palace. He knew that he should have gone with her. Darn it. I should have followed my gut.

By and by, he reached the palace. "Where is she?"

"In the throne room, your highness." The servant answered. Shi hurriedly open the door. He gasped. Shocked at the scene in front of him. Yan Da is in the middle of the room, surrounded by blazing flames. Her hands on the sides of her head. The others are in a corner, trying to evade the fire.

"Shi!" His brother called out. He looked like he wanted to approach him but the fire prevented him.

Shi ignored his brother's call. His gaze focused on the fire princess. Lifting a hand up, the fire singed it. He quickly retracted it. Biting his lip, he thought of something fast.

Closing his eyes, he calmed himself. He then opened his eyes, smiling. "Yan Da." he said in a gentle voice. "It's me, Ying Kong Shi. You can hear me right?"

The flames shifted, answering him. Shi let out a relieved sigh.

"That's good. Then, will you extinguish this flames please?"

The flames shifted again, burning more intensely. Shi's eyes soften, feeling her pain and anger. "No? It's okay. Just listen to this then. It's supposed to be a surprise but..."

The young prince then brought out his flute and started to play the song that he had composed for her.

Inside Yan Da's mind...

She was in a corner, hugging her knees to her chest. Her head burrowed between her knees. She's surrounded by her painful memories even the one's she tried so hard to forget.

Everything is frozen. She feels numb but she didn't care. At least, it didn't hurt anymore.

She was slowly being consumed but then she heard him, saving her.

Outside...after a while...

The flames started to dissipate, making the other people in the room sigh in relief.

Slowly, the fire princess opened her eyes at the same time that Shi opened his. Their gaze met. The young prince smiled, walking towards her. He then offered his hand to her which Yan Da gladly accepted. She then stood up, grinning. "You composed that for me?"

Shi nodded, returning the grin. "It's to thank you." He said, gently brushing the tears in her eyes. "After all, you've done so much for me."

A bit annoyed, the fire princess pinched his cheeks. "No need to thank me brat."

Her eyes softened, letting go his cheeks. "It was beautiful. Thank you."

Shuo Gang and the fire king's eyebrow rose, looking at each other. Well this is something that they didn't expect.

I guess I need to rethink my plans. The fire king thought.