Chapter 8: The Plea of a Mother

EXT. IN THE BALCONY OF CHARLES. AFTERNOON.

Charlene and Charles were in the balcony in the condominium unit. Inside the room was Liz.

CHARLENE:

I hope you know why we're here, why I'm here.

CHARLES:

I don't know, Ma'am.

CHARLENE:

As a mother of Liz, I deserve the best for my daughter. You pregnated her.

CHARLES:

With all due respect, Ma'am, I may have pregnated her but it doesn't mean I pregnated her. There is a high possibility that his ex pregnated her.

CHARLENE:

But my daughter said you are the one. What do you think of my daughter? A slut who wants to fuck random guys easily.

CHARLES:

That's what happened. I fucked her; she fucked me. We're just random strangers in the club. Ma'am, be specific. What do you want me to do to your daughter?

CHARLENE:

Marry her.

CHARLES:

W-w-what?

CHARLENE:

Don't you hear me? Marry her! Marry my daughter!

CHARLES:

W-w-why? We don't know each other that much. And you want me to marry her!

CHARLENE:

Yes, marry her.

CHARLES:

Why?

CHARLENE:

I want to save her from shame.

CHARLES:

From what? From fucking her? Is it a shame that I fucked her? What a conservative country it is!

CHARLENE:

Yes, it is a very conservative country. I want to save her from shame, from the shame of you fucking her. What would happen if you did not marry her? She might find another boy. When that boy finds out she's not a virgin anymore, she might get dumped. I don't want that to happen to her.

CHARLES:

So, is the worth of the woman only based on her virginity? Do we still need to equate her according to her virginity? Is it just how we see women? That's freakin' sexist, Ma'am. We're just reducing women to persons to just sexual objects. We're not seeing her soul, we're just seeing her hymen-filled vagina. What a close-minded country it is!

CHARLENE:

I know that you hate the ideas of this country. You've been educated in the United States so you're ideas are quite Western. But you're here in the Philippines. As an old adage would say, "When you're in Rome, do what the Romans do."

(started to cry)

Also, I don't want her to be a single mother. I don't want her to experience my initial hardships of being a single mother before leaving her to my sister, to her aunt. I want to give my daughter a complete and happy family, with a father, mother, and child or children. I want to change what should have been her future. Please, marry her!

CHARLES:

You're wishing that I give her my whole world. I lost everything, Ma'am! My status, my freedom, my perks. Everything has lost!

(started to cry too)

I have nothing more to give to her.

CHARLENE:

I don't wish a very glamorous wedding. I just want a simple one. I just want her to feel the love, the sacred love. I just want to let her experience being a wife and a mother. Please!

CHARLES:

I don't know what to do now.

CHARLENE:

You might not understand me now. But later on, when you become a parent, you would understand these things. You would understand these things – you would do everything for the well being of your child. Please, marry her!

CHARLES:

Let me think about it!

CHARLENE:

Thanks! An act of rumination and reflection about this is enough. I hope you make the right choice!

Charlene went inside the room. Together with Liz, they got out of the room.

??E??yhS