Chapter 7: Mother and Daughter

EXT. IN FRONT OF THE HOUSE OF LIZ. DAY.

A red car, which was popularized ten years ago, stopped in front of the house.

INT. IN THE RED CAR OF LIZ. DAY.

In the driver's seat was Liz. On the passenger's seat was Mary.

MARY:

Why don't you want DNA testing to your baby? Are you hiding something to me or to others?

LIZ:

(avoided the gaze of Mary)

No, I don't hide anything.

MARY:

Then, why don't you want DNA testing to prove whether Charles is the father or not?

Luckily, Liz did not answer the question as they noticed a middle aged woman in front of the house. She seemed to be waiting for someone.

LIZ:

Who's that, Tita?

MARY:

She's your mother.

LIZ:

Really?

(excited and was about to cry)

MARY:

Don't talk to her. Remember, she left you here for a good life in the United States. And now that probably she has nothing anymore, she wants to go back to you. What an irresponsible mother she is! Now that you have a child of your own, don't you ever ever imitate your mother....

Liz stepped out of the car. Mary followed suit.

EXT. IN FRONT OF THE HOUSE OF LIZ. DAY.

MARY:

(angry to the middle-aged woman in front of the house)

Charlene, why did you come back? We're happy already.

CHARLENE:

Is she my daughter Elizabeth Perez?

LIZ:

Yes, I am Elizabeth Perez.

Liz and Charlene waited for a few seconds before embracing each other.

EXT. IN THE LIVING ROOM OF LIZ. DAY.

Liz was sitting in the sofa while Mary and Charlene were arguing in a standing position.

MARY:

Why did you come back, Ate? We're happy already. Why did you come back?

CHARLENE:

My American husband had died. We got poor because of the hospital expenses. We did not have a child. In US, I have nothing to share my joys and tears. I have no companion. Then, I realized I still have a child here in the Philippines. I might get another chance from her.

LIZ:

One question, Mom.

CHARLENE:

What is your question?

LIZ:

(almost cried)

Why did you leave me here? I've been longing to have a real mother, a biological mother, in my arms. Why did you leave me here? Why didn't you take me as you go in the United States? Why?

CHARLENE:

I don't know what to do if he finds out that I have a daughter. My husband is so conservative I don't know what to do what would happen if he finds out. Therefore, I left you to your Tita Mary. But right now, I realized what a foolish mother I am. I left you here in this poor country while I had the best opportunities abroad. I should have taken you then, or, at least, I should have fought for you. I'm sorry for everything, my daughter Liz.

While crying, Charlene embraced her daughter Liz. Liz started to cry too.

LIZ:

Mom, I miss you so much and I love you.

CHARLENE:

Me, too. I love you too.

Charlene and Liz embraced each other tightly. After the embrace, Charlene sat down. Mary followed suit.

CHARLENE:

What happened to you?

LIZ:

(cried hard and embraced Charlene)

I'm pregnant unexpectedly.

CHARLENE:

Who's the father?

LIZ:

(swallowed her throat and averted Charlene's gaze)

The former child actor, Charles Gomez. He did not want to recognize his child.

CHARLENE:

Why?

LIZ:

He needs proof that he indeed is the father of my child.

CHARLENE:

Why does he doubt you?

LIZ:

Because he thinks that perhaps my ex-boyfriend, Juan Santos, pregnated me. I and Juan broke up because I found him cheating on me. Charles think Juan might be the father of my child.

CHARLENE:

Don't worry. I'm going to talk to Charles tomorrow.

??????tQ