Chapter 14: The Test of Fatherhood and Love

INT. IN THE LIVING ROOM OF LIZ. DAY.

Liz was sitting in the sofa with her daughter Carla. She suddenly got a text message from an unknown person. This was the message.

Tell the truth to him. He's not the daddy of your daughter; I am.

She thought for a while; however, she began to tremble. She heard the doorbell of her house. Her mother Charlene suddenly appeared from the kitchen.

LIZ:

Who's that?

CHARLENE:

Let me see.

Charlene went out of the house. Liz observed Charlene open the gate. The visitor was none other than Charles carrying two plastic bags. Charlene and Charles went to the living room. Charles brought down the plastic bags onto the floor of the living room.

LIZ:

How are you, Charles?

CHARLES:

We need to talk...

(looked at Charlene)

... ALONE!

CHARLENE:

I'm going to bring Carla and the plastic bags in the room.

Charlene carried the plastic bags and her granddaughter; Charlene and Carla left.

LIZ:

What are we going to talk about?

CHARLES:

Remember the thing about DNA paternity test?

LIZ:

Not again. I thought we reconciled.

CHARLES:

I know I'm in love with you but we're not yet reconciled. I need to know the truth.

LIZ:

You still don't believe in me, right?

CHARLES:

Yes, I will only believe you once the DNA test results proved that I am indeed the father of your child.

LIZ:

Don't you love me?

CHARLES:

I do. I do. But I need to know the truth. Why can't you agree on this? Why don't you allow me to perform DNA test on Carla and me?

LIZ:

It's a sign of faithlessness. You don't have faith in me and in my words. Therefore, you don't love me.

CHARLES:

I'm forever faithless once I know the truth.

LIZ:

Wait, wait, wait. Why do you doubt your fatherhood on Carla again? Is there something?

CHARLES:

(shouted)

Yes! Your ex, Juan Santos, visited me in my condominium unit. He suggested me to do DNA test.

LIZ:

Why then?

CHARLES:

He is convinced that he is indeed the father and I am not. He said that you had sex before and during the Valentine's Day. There is a high probability that he is the father.

LIZ:

(started to become confused)

That's ridiculous.

CHARLES:

Then, prove him wrong. The DNA test will point us the answer.

LIZ:

No. I don't want DNA test.

CHARLES:

Don't play games with me. You already ruined my life.

LIZ:

I'm not ruining your life. I'm just stating the truth.

CHARLES:

The truth or the lie? If you got nothing to hide, let's have a DNA test. Otherwise, this will prove something about you.

LIZ:

What about me?

CHARLES:

That you're guilty of ruining my life. If ever found out that I am not the father....

LIZ:

(shouted)

That's impossible!

Charlene appeared again.

CHARLENE:

What's happening here?

CHARLES:

If I ever found out that I am not the father, I'm going to forget everything about you. Also, I will have a press conference. I will say that you fooled me. Lastly, I will have my surname removed from her.

Charles left the house.