1 | 'he's so handsome ... and chiseled ... and rugged ... and great.'

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

'WHAT ON EARTH ARE THEY doing on our field, on our time?'

   The lacrosse team had commandeered the same green patch they used for soccer practice. But that wasn't the issue. The timing was wrong and there were hardly cases of conflicting schedules. That it never happened made it unusual. That it was taking place all of a sudden suggested foreboding. For each girl equipped with blue sports gear and cleats (and gloves if you considered Lee Saerom and Bo Chaegi) it was presentimental. This day had been foretold in Leehan's unwritten book of prophecy. However, all of them decided the inevitable had arrived a few years too early.

   Packaged in front of Kim Eunra was confrontation big enough it could trump her—and the team. A life equivalent for most of these girls, over the years, metamorphosed to the only thing with full rights to call the shots on any path in life they chose. And to those who understood it mattered, it shook their universe. It pinched even more when acknowledging this had been a deliberate move from the top.

   'I'm sorry, but you girls are out,' Byung Taekwoon, coach for both teams, said.

    Eunra could picture the cover story already. There were needs and Lee Jinwoo, the director, was only one woman. If measures needed to be taken for the betterment of the school, they would be taken. They would highlight also how it wasn't personal. Just that if there were activities the school could survive without, they had to go. Teachers weren't exempt. Anyone could be relieved of their jobs because no one needed debts on their head, and if there were effective means for cutting cost, why not? Among the female sport teams, why not? Last year had seen the scrapping of girls' lacrosse and swimming. The year before that, girls' field hockey had become irrelevant and was done away with. The ex-members of those teams had gone on to blend with the crowd. Nobody knew them, no one could care less. Soccer had managed to weather all the storms until now. Basketball was the last woman standing.

   'This school is run by fricking sexists!' Eunra had been vocal enough to turn a few heads. From behind Coach, Jung Hojung and the boys were closing in.

   'Calm down, Eunra,' Coach said. Looks of understanding were anything but placating when they weren't backed up by actions. If he actually believed he had allied himself with them, he was dead wrong.

   'They might as well change this dump to an all-boys affair. I wonder what's stopping them,' she said. The line between uncivil and regardful had now blurred over. Later she would accommodate the repercussions of being ill-tempered in front of her teacher. 'The she-de—'

   A hand had clamped down over her mouth. Eunra cast a look sidelong to Lalisa Manobal. She'd always been the most levelheaded of the bunch of them. 'I bet you wouldn't want to lose your team and get expelled in one day. Let's save that for tomorrow, hm?'

   On Eunra's left, Park Chaeyoung shrugged and said, 'On the uphand, that would make it less of a complete loss. You do leave this dump because of your big mouth, it's still a win.'

   'What our dear captain here meant to say is, isn't there anything that can be done?' The hand hadn't left her mouth. Eunra, having not come down from her high, let it stay there. Her friend made a good mouthpiece. From what she was hearing, Lalisa made sense. 'Better yet, what's the reason?' This was backed up by several hums from the other girls.

   Beside Coach, Jung Hojung now stood. Tall and proud, very take-charge-esque. Eunra had taken a moment to appreciate her boyfriend, soughing under Lalisa's palm. Chaeyoung saw this and scoffed. Whatever reservations she might have, Eunra thought, it was important that Chaeyoung note he could be of help. Now, this boy here, she'd call an ally.