2 | 'when debutantes disagree, they say it with their eyes.'

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

AT FORTY-TWO, YOON SEOHYUN miffed her family on a 2-4-7 basis. It was the reason why, currently, she held custody of one out of two teen-aged children. Twins.

   Having hobbies was never a bad thing until their mother indulged. Her unseemly knack for perfection posed more of a curse than a blessing to the Kims.

   Nurtured by a single parent, Seohyun remembered being drilled with tales upon tales of her family history. A long lineage of pure blue-blood. Sometimes it seemed too good to be true, but nevertheless, there was an enthrallment for all things patrician, that irrespective of whether she did not grow up living in that century-old palace, getting waited on, hand and foot, turning up at pointless gatherings and the like, she would make sure she died as one. And no person of class as herself was willing to have their nuclear family adapt to plebeian idiosyncrasy. They should depict royalty.

   There were no royal homes in sight (the children, along with their father, refused to approbate living under a roof too big for four people). No servants paraded about in their tens, maybe hundreds, no balls to be attending by next dawn couple hours from now. Eventually Seohyun flirted with contentment in a Victorian-style two-storey house, and recently, her pride and joy came from a flourish garden nestling a modest koi pond in the spacious backyard.

   It was about enough to score her social points at the country club.

   At some point, this would fill most of the relatives with trepidation, until it'd decreased the horde of extended family visitations to Seohyun's mother. Just like her daughter, Nam Sihyun hoped to see a drastic refinement in the Kim household.

   As for her marriage to Kim Jaehwan, that had been disaster waiting to happen from the get-go. Apparently it was impossible to have a control addict team up with a third-degree womanizer. Soon it took its toll on the children. And even now, no one was as vindictive as Jaehwan by the setup. The man of the house finally threw in the towel when it became too much to bear. Then again, his infidelity had been a key addendum, the final drive Seohyun needed to call her lawyer.

   In the end, papers were signed, vows broken, for what Seohyun sometimes hoped was intermittent, a much needed hiatus to clear their heads. And a once happy family split right down the middle, all out of a mutual understanding both Jaehwan and Seohyun claimed to have.

   The same day, Eunra witnessed her twin getting placed in Jaehwan's custody and concluded both were the most self-centered pair she knew and would ever know. Today, Doyoung lived an hour away. Approximately. What could be considered an edge: they saw eye to eye nothing less than twice per week.

   These days, when she wasn't kicking balls into nets (and she couldn't do that any longer), Eunra was clobbering some sense into her mother—or trying to—except Seohyun was just as self-willed as her daughter. At least the one instance mother and child could relate. The Kims, on the whole, were a family with a few screws loose away from becoming what she viewed in her fantasies, breeding bad manners like the average anopheles. Even though, the one thing Seohyun could spare some credit to them was how they seemed able to hold the fort in public ... usually. Perhaps she did get through. In simple terms to comprehend, Yoon Seohyun was a thicker nut to crack than they gave her credit and she was yet to waver in her plans for an all-round transformation. Soon, she would get close to making a lady out of a soccer-inclined daughter and a gentleman in an impassive Doyoung, despite their impressive depth of perception.