30 | 'i miss my roommate. i really liked him.'

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

'NO SACK OF WORMS IS kicking my ball today if have boy issues to deal with!' Eunra remembered startling to consciousness that morning, catching herself in time from rolling off the narrow bench, assured herself it had only been a frightening dream with Coach Kwon in it. She also remembered her joints aching, then adjudged aching joints would be the least of anyone's problem, if they were to drowse off to the events of Kim Sungwoo proclaiming he knew their secret, and waking to realize they had spent the night on reserve seats, in the basketball court. Then she was recollecting that between Sungwoo of the Night and Bodily Pain of This Morning, there was Yuta. Kicking her out their room for some deserved reason, because if it's Yuta it had to be justifiable. What ticks a boy off in the middle of the night and has him blathering on about something he expects her to be in the know of?

   Now, chary and skittish, she was watching the same from behind her locker in the changing rooms, shuffling to put on his red shirt with the big ten. As if grasping the sudden sense he was being watched, his head snapped in her general direction. He was done dressing, his hands drop to their sides. That was Eunra's cue to initiate the smile of an offender, not that she felt she had any right to but there were already sins that needed atoning for. Guilt was what made Eunra hold onto the idea that Yuta's sour mood was not misplaced. She waited for him to return in kind, a smile for a smile, and waited in vain. He turned his head instead and it was from there the future started resembling an uncertain tomorrow. Before she knew what she was doing, Eunra found herself nearing Yuta who, having just shut his locker, activated his defenses. Their friends were watching. If anyone in this room could suspect something was off, it would be them.

   It became an unofficial stare off by the time she reached him, Eunra in that moment wishing Yuta would simply look a little closer and connect the dots. That she was Eunra. Even though there was nothing concrete that stamped it was going to change anything. Aside link things up that she was indeed a girl, they were going to find themselves two steps backwards. And two steps behind now, there was no coming back from.

   'We should talk,' she said. About yesterday, sure. About that thing nobody except Jaehyun (and as of recent, Sungwoo) knew of, absolutely!

   Yuta's desire to take the silent treatment route was very obvious, except his expressiveness spoke of the fight in his head he was struggling to win. The one that made him need this confrontation more than anybody. Until need overthrew want and he put his tongue to work, which made Eunra decide she was better off taking his dumbness.

   'It's best you keep personal matters out of this, Doyoung,' he began. 'This game might mean nothing to you, but it does to everyone in this room. Leehan High School and Crystal Academy have history, and to both schools winning a match against the other is equal to taking home the trophy at the end of the season. You are one of us now. That you're one of us means you have come to house like mindset, so get your priorities straight.'

   Inside Eunra, something began sizzling but it wasn't anger. Then again, underlying hints of indignation could be felt. What deflated Eunra from the inside and gave rise to an abrupt urge to be stubborn was disappoinment. That Yuta would feel the need to give her the Sit up and be serious for once lecture. If he was going to take this as an avenue to be cold-blooded, then so be it.

   She nodded, 'I understand,' turned and exited the changing room.

▬▬

'KIM DOYOUNG, TELL ME WHY I have to put up with you?!' The man was roaring. And he was big with flaring nostrils. And he was scary. And Doyoung was on the verge of tears. There were people watching. In a flustered state, he scanned their faces, all of them wearing red sportswear, he didn't fit the setting. Eunra would, but he wouldn't. They were about five in number, six if you included the thundering tyrant, and not a single familiar person. But why should there be? He was new. Even though last time he checked, being new to a place didn't account for weirdness after weirdness. Or did it? Maybe he needed to go out more.