Chapter Nine

"We're not the same people we were then."

RED

I train until my shirt is dark with sweat and a scarlet headache starts to throb behind my eyes. I walk to the wall and wipe the sweat from my forehead with a towel.

Clint steps into the doorway and knocks lightly on the open door. "Hey, Wands."

"Clint."

He leans against the wall and folds his arms. "How are you?"

I sigh. Then turn to look at him. "My brother was dead, Clint. And... now someone's back, with the same blue eyes and speed, and the same silver hair. But he's not the same man. Not even close." I throw down the towel and pick up a bullet. "I'm doing amazing, Clint, thanks for asking."

The words are more bitter than I meant, but he just frowns and slides his foot along the floor.

I throw the bullet with a burst of red towards the target. It hits the outer circle and falls to the ground. I curse. Where's the power of a pistol in my magic?

"I thought it'd be easier," says Clint.

I pick up another bullet, without turning.

"I thought he'd come back and tell rude jokes, and run around the compound, and hide Sam's wings and Cap's shield in crazy places, and- and flirt with every young agent that walked by, and he would be so annoying." Clint grins slightly.

I turn the second bullet in my fingers. "He's different," I say.

"He's so quiet. But it's like he's buzzing with nervous blue energy, and he could up and run away at any moment."

"He didn't sleep last night," I add. I didn't mean to read him, but it's like second nature. His thoughts were everywhere, a mess of shouting and whispering. "He ran instead."

Clint frowns. His fingers curl, he's wishing for an arrow and a bow that he can fire to fix everything. It's not so simple.

Then he shakes his head and forces a smile, nodding to the metal in my hand. "When'd you start firing bullets like a freaking machine gun, kid?"

I shrug. "I had time. Thought I'd try it."

"All you need's more speed," he says simply. "More power, you know."

"Yeah."

He smiles and leaves the training room.

A/N hi it's only been two weeks but that's two weeks too long, so here's a little chapter and I will never leave you again

If you're celebrating Thanksgiving please have a great one, everyone else enjoy your week, I love you guys❤️