Chapter Six | Foreign Arrivals

Ariana now sat beside Hermione in the Great Hall, fully dressed in her school robes. The Sorting Ceremony had already taken place, each house receiving many new member.

Ariana noticed second table was set up demand the usual one the teachers dined at. She and her friends were about to discuss why, but Dumbledore stood by his golden lecturn, prepared to make his start-of-year announcements.

"Now we're all settled in and sorted, I'd like to make an announcement," he began. The large doors opened and Filch came comically running in, approaching the headmaster. "This castle will not only be your home this year but home to some very special guests as well. You see Hogwarts has been choosen..." He broke off to listen to Flick whisper in his ear, then gave an inaudible reply. Seemingly satisfied, Filch ran away again. "So Hogwarts has been choosen to host a legendary event. The Tri-Wizard Tournament . Now for those of you who do not know, the Tri-wizard Tournament brings together three schools for a series of magical contests. From each school a single contestant is selected to compete. Now let me be clear, if choosen you stand alone. And trust me when I say these contests are not for the faint hearted, but more of that later."

Ariana knew the Tri-Wizard Tournament was a magical contest held between the three largest wizarding schools of Europe: Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Durmstrang Institute and Beauxbatons Academy of Magic, each school being represented by one Champion. Selected Champions compete in three tasks - traditionally judged by the Headmasters or Headmistresses of the competing schools - designed to test magical ability, intelligence and courage.

Champions competed for the honour and glory of winning the Tournament, for the Tri-Wizard Cup and a monetary prize.

"For now please join me in welcoming the lovely ladies of the Beauxbatons Academy of Magic and their headmistress Madam Maxime."

Ariana watched as the two massive doors to the hall opened up, revealing a group of girls dressed in sky blue satin dressed. Their hair was all tied up in identical styles, blue hats atop their heads.

The delicately danced up the aisle, stopping occasionally pausing to spread their arms in a flourish. The boys' heads spin around to follow them in a manner that Ariana found amusing.

When they reached the end of the house tables, a cloud of blue butterflies fluttered from their bodies.

The Hogwarts students cheered and applauded enthusiastically as the girls bowed, then went to stand off to the side.

Ariana's eyes widened when she laid them on the Beauxbatons headmistress; she was a giant. She must of been two or three heads taller than Hagrid, since his father was a human.

"Blimey, that's one big woman," Seamus gasped quietly, making Ariana smile.

"And now our friends from the north, please greet the proud sons of Durmstrang and the high master Igor Karkaroff."

A series of older boys walked up the aisle, each one brandishing Bo staffs. They periodically spun them in swift movements, stabbing them into the stone ground, sparking as they did.

Three men walked down after the other had moved off to the side, their faces stony and serious. Two wore black and the other, taller one a long white jacket.

"Blimey it's them, Viktor and Ivan Krum!" Ron gasped, watching as the world's best Seeker and Chaser walked past him.

As they neared Dumbledore's podium, a few of the other boys began to do flips quite similar to muggle break-dancing. They then used their wands to breathe fire, forming into a phoenix before disappearing.

Ariana found their performance to be brilliant, and imagined it took quite a few rehearsals. She watched as Dumbledore and Igor embraced like brothers, then the dark-haired of the two moved to join his students.

"Welcome to Hogwarts, friends," said Dumbledore, spreading his arms as a 'hello'. "Please, find a seat anywhere you like. Staff from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang, you have place settings at the tables behind me. Now, let the feast begin!"

As everyone got into their seats, tonnes of delicious food appeared on the seven large tables. Glittering gold goblets sprouted from nothing, as did large platters of food and various garnishes.

"What's that?" Ron questioned, pointing to a broth that consisted of

"Pot-au-feu," Hermione replied. "Haven't you noticed the French and Scandinavian dishes?"

Ron looked about and noticed the platters of foods that were there as a display of courtesy for their visitors.

All four of the friends served food into each others' plates as well as their own, making the process much faster.

They had noticed that most of the Beauxbatons had moved to sit with the Ravenclaws, while Durmstrang students had flocked to the Slytherin table, happily making conversation with the people who made Ariana nauseous.

"Slytherin seems quite popular," said Harry, swallowing some food.

"I imagine it's due to similarities of outlook," Ariana responded, slicing into a slice of particularly rare meat. She had turned the plate so that the cut section of the meat was facing her, trying to avoid anyone seeing how abnormally rare it was.

"Yeah," agreed Ron through some chicken. "Durmstrang never accepts Muggle-borns."

Hermione, born to two Muggles herself, grimaced a little, picking at the food on her plate for a moment before recovering.

Ariana widened her eyes and stared at Ron, as if saying 'think before you speak!'. She quickly changed the subject, "This is the first time the Tri-Wizard Tournament has been successfully revived since 1792. Brilliant, isn't it?"

The four Gryffindors continued their conversation as cleared their plates, eager to watch the events of the Tri-Wizard Tournament unfold, completely unaware that it may just kill Harry and Ariana.