Chapter Forty-Nine | The Third Task

The grounds were unrecognisable. The hedges were at least twenty foot tall, belittling everything that stood near them. There were five separate entrances to the maze, which all faded into complete, eerie darkness.

Ariana and the others listening to the seats fill up in the viewing area at the beginning if the maze, all clamouring excitedly. The school brass band began to play the lively Hogwarts March, signalling that the champions would soon have to make their ways outside.

Ariana was pacing back and forth, her stomach in knots. She tried focusing on her breathing, attempting to keep it level as she heard the crowd begin to cheer wildly. She continued to pace  until Dumbledore came in, announcing that the champions were due to make their appearance.

Amos and Cedric Diggory left the room first, followed by Fleur and Madame Maxime, then Krum and Karkaroff. She and Harry walked through a tunnel with Dumbledore in between them. Once they arrived at the other side, Ariana saw many banners being shaken overhead in the crowd, supporting all of the different champions. Crimson ones were gyrating in the air, decorated with Harry's and her own name as the Gryffindors screamed and clapped. The Beauxbatons students were performing an elegant dance, cheerleading for Fleur.

Dumbledore laid a hand on each of the two Gryffindors' shoulders, then gently patted their backs, wordlessly instructing them to move forwards. The pair stood underneath the darkening sky, spotting the Weasleys,  and Hermione all sitting together, clapping their hands. Seamus, Dean. Neville and their other friends were also cheering, their faces painted with Ariana's and Harry's initials on their cheeks.

Dumbledore stood at a podium in the centre of the circular, grassy area in which he stood, making everyone fall silent as he amplified his voice with his wand. "Earlier today Professor Moody placed the Tri-Wizard cup deep within the maze. Only he knows its exact position. Now as Mr Diggory..."

The Hufflepuff crowd all leapt to their feet, screaming and cheering in support of their friend.

"- Miss. O'Connor and Mr. Potter -"

The Gryffindors shot to their feet, clapping and cheering enthusiastically, shaking their banners of support for the two champions. The feeling of support made a small smile crack onto Ariana's face; it was a lovely feeling to have them all standing behind her, rather than opposing her.

"- tied for first position they will be the first to enter the maze. Followed by Mr Krum..."

The Bulgarian crowd went nuts, cheering for Viktor. Ivan, Ariana noticed, was one of the loudest of them all, applauding his brother.

"And Miss. Delacour." The French girls cheered, not to be outdone by the other two schools; they wanted Fleur to win just as much as the others wanted their own school champions to emerge victorious.

"The first person to touch the cup will be the winner. I've instructed the staff to patrol the perimeter, if at any point should a contestant wish to withdraw from the task he or she need only send up red sparks with their wands. Contestants, gather round. Quickly!"

The five champions surrounded Dumbledore, who rested his arms around Viktor's and Fleur's shoulders. He spoke quietly, only addressing the champions, "In the maze you'll
find not dragons or creatures of the
deep. Instead you'll face something
more challenging. You see, people change in the maze. Oh find the cup if you can, but be very weary you could just lose yourselves along the way." He let them go. "Champions! Prepare yourselves."

Ariana hugged Harry, feeling him tightly squeeze her waist. "Good luck, Harry."

"Good luck, Ariana," he said, knowing this coukd very well be the last time they ever saw each other.