Chapter Thirteen | Who Did This?

The Trophy Room was lit by a fire crackling in a large fireplace, the warm glow catching off of the hundreds of trophies that were sprinkled around the room.

Ariana sat drumming her fingers violently on her knee, staring at a glittering silver trophy from 1972.

She had no idea how her and Harry's names ended up in the goblet, nor had anyone offered any information regarding it.

The magical iron gates slid open as Harry came down the stairs, entering the room. As soon as he saw Ariana, she stood up and joined him.

"How are you?" she questioned.

Harry sighed and shook his head. "I don't know what to think."

"Nor do I," said Ariana. "I do know that our names appearing in the goblet and the Dark Mark is not a coincidence."

The sound of arguing drew their attention to the stone staircase. Most of the Hogwarts Professors, Crouch and the visiting headmasters were jogging down the stairs, shouting at each other about Harry and Ariana's names being spat out.

Fleur, Cedric and Viktor were all standing by the fire, watching the commotion in front of them.

Ariana watched as Dumbledore actually ran over to herself and Harry, grabbing their shoulders. He walked them back until she felt a table smack into her thigh, the clinking of trophies moving as they collided with it.

"Harry! Ariana! Did you put your names in the goblet of fire?" Dumbledore questioned, looking beside himself with anger.

"No sir," Harry and Ariana answered immediately, feeling a hand grip one of their shoulders firmly.

"Did you ask one of the older students to do it for you?"

"No sir."

"You're absolutely sure?" Dumbledore asked again, pointing a finger in their faces as if accusing them.

"Yes sir," the pair replied.

Dumbledore nodded and released his students, taking a few steps backwards. Ariana stepped away from the table, watching as Madame Maxime stormed in, furious.

"Well of course they are lying," she protested loudly, knocking an overhead lamp out of her way.

"The hell they are," Mad-Eye growled. "The goblet of fire is an exceptionally powerful magical object, only an exceptionally powerful conjurer could have hoodwinked it. Magic way beyond the talents of two fourth years."

"You seem to have given this a fair bit of thought, Mad-Eye," said Karkaroff, stepping close to the blonde man in an accusatory manner.

"It was once my job to think as dark wizards do Karkaroff perhaps you remember?" Mad-Eye retaliated darkly.

Ariana eyed the pair suspiciously. Clearly Mad-Eye's comment should of stung Igor, but why? What was him implication?

Dumbledore stepped through the two of them, walking across to Barty Crouch. "That doesn't help Alastor! Leave this to you Barty."

Crouch stood for a moment, speaking with his back to the group. "The rules are absolute, the goblet of fire constitutes a binding magical contract." He turned around, looking directly at Harry and Ariana. "Mr. Potter and Miss. O'Connor have no choice, they are as of tonight... Tri-Wizard Champions."

Ariana's jaw clenched, staring intently at Crouch, then looked at an equally as shocked Harry. That was it. The decision had been made. The two Gryffindor students were competing in the Tri-Wizard Tournament.

The group of professors slowly turned around, all of their eyes resting upon the two fourth-years.

Ariana stared back at them, unable to speak. Her face was blank and her eyes soft, but they portrayed concern. She would of been considered a fool if she wasn't worried. Yes, she was incredibly brave, but she wasn't stupid, Ariana knew her chances of survival were slim.

~~~~~

That night, Ariana had been ridiculed by the girls in her dormitory, bombarded with questions.

Why did you put your name in?

How did you put your name in?

Are you and Harry really competing in the Tri-Wizard Tournament?

Hermione was the only one of her close friends who remained on her side, except Harry, of course. Ariana was thankful that she still had Hermione, even if Ron seemed to disbelieve their story in the brief time she had seen him.

After everyone else had fallen asleep at a late hour, the two girls sat on Ariana's bed.

"You're certain there is no way your name was put in there with you knowing about it?" Hermione asked.

"Yes," Ariana answered, nodding her head vigorously. "I never put my name in, nor did I ask anyone else to do it. I have a large enough target on my back without this."

Hermione sighed. "Then the question is: who did?"

"I honestly don't know. It must of been someone powerful. Who else could slip our names in under the noses of Dumbledore and the best Auror the Ministry had?" Ariana enquired, staring at the black wand in her hands.

"We'll through this," Hermione smiled reassuringly, though it didn't quite reach her eyes. She looped her arm through Ariana's, giving it a squeeze.

"We'll see," Ariana replied, nudging Hermione with her elbow, smiling.

The two girls bid each other goodnight, then Hermione headed to her bed across from Ariana's. The brunette soon fell asleep, the sound of her breathing evening out.

Ariana was the only one left awake, staring out of the window once more. The stars twinkled in the velvet sky, looking absolutely beautiful in the process.

Sleep alluded Ariana that night, her mind too preoccupied with thoughts of the near future.